Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
What it takes to be a coach

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: What it takes to be a coach Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, some of the people on this board are coaches. In any case, you may have some insight on this.

What does it take to become an XC/Track coach?

What are the normal expectations at the HS Level, can anyone do it if they come to the school with a plan and running experience?... or are there education requirements?

At the college level, are there education requirements?... or can you come in with assistant coaching experience, or even just an excellent HS coaching record, and have a shot for the job?

If anyone can elaborate for me about what it takes to be hired as a coach, let me know.

Thanks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't really any set requirements for coaching at any level, but the surest way is to put in your time as an assistant, learn the ropes, get a feel for what is involved, and see where you want to go from there. Short of having a very strong competitive resume, it's unlikely anyone would get a shot at a head coaching job without prior experience.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To coach in colllege you need at least a BA or BS and a little either college competitive or coaching (high school) expeince as a minimum (be prepaird to start out at a very low salary). To be a high school coach it really depends, in some places all you need is some kind of prior expeience in the sport. I've seen coaches in small schools that never even competed in track in high school. Although generally if you have a BA and some college competitive experience you can generally find a head or at least an assistant job fairly easily.

PS Probably the most successful coach in the world Brother Colm at St Patricks school for boys in Iten Kenya had no experience when he started although most people would say that his success like realestate is all about location, location, location Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG, welcome back! Been a looooong time.

Quote:
To coach in colllege you need at least a BA or BS

Is that an actual requirement or just something that most schools view as a necessity? I know teaching in college requires much less credential-wise than does high school (no masters of teaching necessary), but I'm assuming the bachellors degree is a base requirement. Same for coaching?

Quote:
I've seen coaches in small schools that never even competed in track in high school.

I know of a XC state champ coach who took over the team mid-season with no prior experience in the sport (he was a volleyball coach) and kept them on course just long enough to hold on for the title...

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the runners were willing to train with a coach who never ran and has no experience.... I wouldn't stick around if I was an athlete in that situation.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot of choice in HS, and quitting the team isn't a great option when you're chasing a state title...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that there is no NCAA rule that in order to coach you must have a degree, and I have seen assistants who got to help out with the coaching duites while they were finishing off their undergrad work. These guys are almost exclusively athletes that were pretty good, got along well with the coach and just ran out of eligability before they were ready to graduate.

But I don't really think that's applicable to the question since those kind of jobs aren't open to application. As far as college coaching jobs open to application most list BA or BS required MA or MS perfered.And I don't think I've ever seen an ad that didn't list a degree as a requirement.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back DG Exclamation

How did the Lopers do in XC this year?
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had a pretty rough season from what I hear. At the end of the outdoor season working overnights and coaching during the day caught up with me. I overslept for a coaches clinc, the prof who was incharge of the clinic was understandably upset, went to the AD and that was the end of me.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Are you taking time off from coaching now?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for crying out loud!

You mean they didn't give you another chance? Sounds like there might have been some extenuating circumstances there.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I'm not looking to get back into coaching. While I was coaching I made a lot of sacrifices, moving away from my family and friends, messing up a couple ofing promis relationships that I neglected in order to spend time coaching. And of coarse the fact that most coaching positions that I would end up with don't pay jack. I'm currently thinking seriously if it's worth it or not. In the meantime I got a promotion and raise at my overnight job, so I'm doing that. I recently tore the miniscus (sp?) in my right knee. So away from work since I can't run I sit around and drink more than I should.

Wow that sounds just like one of those burned out liquered up out of work coaches from the movies. Confused

As far as them giving me any slack, well, when the head of the Physical Ed department (that would be the PE department that has 70%+ of the coaches on staff as visiting profs, GA'a TA'a ect) tells the AD that he wants a $5000 a year, young, out of state, small sport assistant coach gone that coach goes away.

So anyone still want to be a XC/Track coach :question:
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done coaching off and on for friends of mine - mostly guys who were coaching when I was in high school and college ... Working specifically with a group of sprinters or hurdlers or relay members ... Was very satisying to me ... When I was younger I thought about being a coach, but as Guru said the low money kept me away - always wanted enough money to do the things I enjoy ... Then of course there came marriage and kids and I didn't want to take away time from my own kids to work with someone elses ... Having said all that I would love to coach now BUT coaching is one of those things where you have to pay your dues and come up through the ranks ... Almost a Catch-22 kind of thing ...

I think that there is a lot to be said for coaching ... I think it can be very fulfilling, but it does require some sacrifice when young to get to where you want to be in the profession ...

Not sure if I helped or confused ... Rolling Eyes
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have somewhat of a hard time viewing T&F/XC coaching as a full-time occupation, but that might just be because, of the nearly 20 coaches I coached with at Willamette, all but 2 did so as a side hobby. Actually, one of the full-time coaches also had a part-time side job... Coaching takese up a lot of time, but it generally is unlike regular work in that it's a labor of love. As long as financial isn't a primary consideration, I still say it makes a lot of sense for people that love their sport.

How long do you expect to be out with the meniscus?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad DG Sad

On the bright side though, if you are drinking I recommend fine Tennessee sippin' whiskey and robust English stouts. You know, those that are dark as the inside of a cow........ Very Happy

Seriously, what about that meniscuse? Rehab? When do you run again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: