PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas. And in the mean time we have fun cussin' and discussin'. Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer them in the opposite order. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this would be an interesting thread at the first of the year but it turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Trason won everything she entered and had a larger winning margin at WS than she did in 2002. So is there even a succesor out there? If so she is only a tiny tiny speck on the horizon.

Pam Reed got a lot of well deserved attention for winning Badwater but she wasn't in the top competition of any other races including WS.

Anthea Schmidt was back in the pack at WS and didn't really shine at any races this year. But there are some intriguing possibilities out there and I'll expound on them after I do a little research.

But for now I'm off for a six miler around the campus!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Trason keeps it up much longer, her successor won't be coming from the current generation of competitors. Rolling Eyes Makes it tough to pick who it'll be!

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tougher than I had imagined. I went through the 2003 issues of Ultrarunning and didn't come up with anyone who stands out but there are some interesting possibilities.

Jenny Capel, 30, of Nevada won the Montrail Ultra Cup which is a seven race series that includes 2 50Ks, 3 50 milers and 2 100 milers. Although Jenny accumulated the highest overall point total she didn't actually win any of the races. So far this year she has finished in the top 3 in 13 ultras but only won 2 of them. Great consistancy but so far hasn't shown the ability to win against the top competition.

Nikki Kimball, 32, of New York has been on the US 100K world team and won the White River National 50 mile trail championships (a Montrail series event) and the American River 50 mile.

Jennifer Pfeifer, 32, of California was 2nd at American River and won a 50K road race with a time of 3:42:22. She has also steadily improved her times at WS but still hasn't cracked the top 3.

Bethany Hunter, 23, of Virginia finished 2nd in the JFK 50 mile last Nov and then this year finished 2nd in the Massanutten Mountain 100 and won the Mountain Masochist 50, a Montrail series event. Lots of potential for a new comer.

Mary Fagan, 28, of California won the Golden Gates Headlands 50K which was a trail national championship and a Montrail series race. She won another competitive 50K trail race and finished second at Way Too Cool 50K, yet another Montail series race. Who beat her there? Her twin sister Liz! Surprised

That appears to be the list of likely candidates based on 2003 performances. Take your pick.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great consistancy but so far hasn't shown the ability to win against the top competition.

Sounds kind of like the stereotypical ultra endurance athlete. Great consistency from all the base work, but lacking in the ability to kick it up a notch to win races. Neutral

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kicking it in" would be a relative term. Rarely will you see an ultra decided by a 200 meter sprint. But that doesn't mean that races are always won by the person that slows down the least. Even within a race of 50 or 100 miles decisive moves are made. They just aren't as noticable. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said "kicking it up a notch," not "kicking it in." Wink

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking what you wrote but my hands typed something else. It happens when you get old. Embarassed
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all put a foot in our mouth, but a keyboard in the mouth sounds a bit painful. Neutral

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: