Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Fastest 10m Split in the Near Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of the first 20-30m as the drive phase. Helps as a distinction from the subsequent acceleration phase. Key difference between the two is body position and setting up for the next phase.

Dan
pierrejean
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These distances were the same ones used for Valeri Borzov to evaluate his training as far back as the early 70's ... And if I am not mistaken they were also used for the East German women duringi their hey day in sprinting ... I agree with them as the best evaluation of the start ... The start (IMO) is a combination of the reaction, the movement out of the blocks and getting into good running position ... Personally I hate reaction times because all they tell you is who moved 1st as well as 10m times cause that is just the fist few steps out ... Great starters like Drummond, McTear, Hary, Johnson are out and flying at 30m and from that point have to be caught to be beaten ...[/quote]

Yes, these were the distances used in GDR systematically from 1973, using Gundlach 1963's researches. USSR used the same methods too, with some minor differences. I've noticed anyway that in the litterature, saddly the data provided by USSR aren't always accurate, for example the body angles they give are usually taken from pictures with parallax problems, giving inacurate values. Never seen those problems in GDR publications.

I have also problems with reaction times, as it depends on the methods used. Trends for OG, World and European Champs show sometimes big differences. For example, RT average in 100m men and women in Roma'87 (n = 210) was 0.198, very slow compared to average for 4 Champs 1978-1983 (n = 617), where the average was 0.157! Same problems were pointed out after Sydney Games.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting that you look at it as a law of averages ...

Coming back to this, just to illustrate how eerily consistent these things are, the #1 place where the law of averages always seems to spring up is the NBA scoring race. Year after year, you can pretty much count on the top scorer being at 30 points per game and most of the pursuit pack being lumped right around 25. A straggler or two here and there, but it almost always follows that pattern. I just looked at this year's scoring race through the first quarter of the season...

1. A. Iverson PHI 28.9
2. T. McGrady ORL 24.6
3. K. Garnett MIN 24.0
4. P. Stojakovic SAC 24.0
5. P. Pierce BOS 23.9
6. B. Davis NOR 23.4
7. V. Carter TOR 22.9
8. M. Redd MIL 22.8
9. Z. Randolph POR 22.5
10. K. Bryant LAL 22.1

Rolling Eyes

You just can't mess with the laws of nature!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: