Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
800m training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calibra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: 800m training Reply with quote

Hello,

I have created a training programe for this season and I would like to know what you think about it. Comments on changes, improvements, recoverys etc etc...

Ok, first I want to say that when training for 800m you need to focus on
speed, speed, lots of strength, slow milage and good vo2 max sessions.
I have seen many athletes running 1,54-2.00. on low milage but with a lot of speed and intense sessions in their training. I have also seen some of Vebjørn rodals training It was 1-2 max leg strength sessions. 2 plyos
session. 2 vo2 max, sprint. Full out anaeorobic sessions like 3*200-3*150m-3*100m uphill with short rec. I am not saying that AT training is not benifical, but 800m runners should focus more on speed and hard vo2 max sessions. And buliding endurance with slow milage, rather then get tired from AT training, and not able to do strength, speed, anaerobic sessions.

Training: week 1 and 2

Mon:40-60 easy+leg strength
Tue:10*200m 1 min rec 800m pace/10*150m 90%,full rec
wed:20-40 easy+10 relaxed 100m. circle strength
Thu:6*800m 3k pace 1,30-2.00 min rec
Fri:10-15*60m max sprint+easy strength
Sat:40-60 easy+leg strength
Sun:10-15*80m uphill sprint, walk back rec+plyos

week 3 (easy)

Mon:40-60 easy+easy leg strength
Tue:30 easy+easy plyos
Wed:20 easy+strides
thu:7-8*600m 1,30 rec bit faster than 3k pace
Fri:10*60m easy sprint+strength
Sat:4*4 min hill running. 5 min rec
Sun:Free

Comments???

CAlibra
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a pretty solid program (I agree with the principals you expoused). I'm guessing it's intended for just under 2:00 athletes, or thereabouts?

That Tuesday workout could be pretty rough with 10x200 and 10x150 at fairly high intensity. One thing to keep in mind with doing a large quantity of intervals at high intensity is to build in sufficient rest, otherwise you turn it into an aerobic workout toward the end and defeat the purpose of what you set out to do.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: