Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
How can I lower my 400 time by states?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2001 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I currently run a 56.4 in the 400 meter dash, but I have my head set on a lower time for states this year. Maybe something around low 55's. Is there any way I can drop my time from a 56 to 55's or even 54's by May?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hope to run in the 54's, do whatever you can to prepare for that pace, meaning lots of 150's, 200's, and 300's geared at holding 13.5 second per 100m pace. Add in a healthy amount of short steep hills and ample recovery, along with strides after every workout, and it can definitely be done.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2001 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking as a layman: 400's are hard because most people build up alot of lactate/lactic acid which is the result of prolonged intense anaerobic work. You can make your body more effective at dealing with this by submitting it to the stress on a regular basis ie. run as fast and far as you can a couple of times a week. You will adapt if you give your body the right fuel and ample rest/recovery. This stuff takes time - probably the hardest thing is maintaining motivation to train for such a hard event. A couple more tips just briefly: breathe heaps from the very start of the race (you'll be needing that oxygen after about 15 seconds), get your form relaxed and efficient, look into supplements such as carbs, creatine (for energy), protein and amino's (for recovery), sodium bicarbonate, and sodium or potassium phosphate (for dealing with lactate - comps only) and train the stabiliser muscles of the lower leg - this last point is extremely important for a variety of reasons which I won't go into here.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'nic fox']
CHSMile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2001 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the 800 put you at your lactic threshold and the 400 put you in you oxygen debt more so than any othe race...or is it the other way around?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2001 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought on the subject is... does it really matter? I've never seen how defining such things provides any training benefit. If anything, I think it is detrimental in that it tends to lead to over-analysis.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: