Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
2 Miles

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of warmup have you been doing for your training? Race day is all about relying on the routine you've built up in practice; not a time to try new things.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not hesitate to jog 2 miles and throw in 3-4 strides at a speed faster than your 2 mile pace. I have been finding that the better shape I am in the more warmup I need.

Paul
Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my training i usually just jog a slow 400 metres, do some gentle streching then run properly for 2 miles. but i didnt know if doing a slow 400 before the race might take away some energy and stop me from running at maximum.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron, you're under 12:30 for 2 miles. You will not run out of energy. To get the most elasticity out of your legs, and to reach your 2nd wind, you need to warmup a minimum of 15-20 minutes jogging with some fast paced efforts followed by maybe 5 minutes rest before your race.

I can't match your 2 mile time. Two weeks ago I did a hard 40 minute fartlek workout. We warmed up for 20 minutes before we even started. I thought I was going to poop out half way through the workout, but that didn't end up being the case at all. That opened my eyes to the importance of the warmup. Before then, I was putting in maybe 1200-1600m before the main body of the workout. And the warmup and warmdown all serve as part of your aerobic efforts for the week.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Paul says is exactly right. You should start getting yourself in the habit of warming up better prior to hard workouts so that you can: a) perform your best in those workouts, and b) be well warmed up on race day without being tired out from the extra effort.

Dan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in just to see if I can lend further credence to the importance of the warmup.

When I came into the program I am in now, the one thing that my coach commented on was my lack of a warmup before hard workouts and races. At first I was sceptical, but now I know the truth.

When I don't warm up, the first mile of my workout/race is sluggish and hard to do. Now my minimum warmup is 2 miles, and I have even gone as far as 4 miles when I am feeling extra sore/stiff.

Run the warmup easy, do your stretching if you do any after that warmup easy run, then do some fast paced strides (by strides I mean run at a pace faster than what you want to race, but not so far to make you winded or tired in the legs. This can be from 50-150 meters depending on your preferences). Try to time it so that after the strides you have 4-8 minutes until your workout/race.

You'll go into races feeling fresh and ready to run, and the first part of the race will feel relaxed, instead of struggling to keep with a pace that you know you can run but it just feels hard for some reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: