Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Michelle Collins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Michelle Collins Reply with quote

Any idea what happened to Michelle Collins this year? After her breakout Indoor season in the 200m, I don't recall seeing her name mentioned all year.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The injury that she suffered at the World Indoors to her ankle after running 22.18s, had inflamed and she hardly made an appearance at all outdoors, if she did indeed make one.

I think it was the sweeping lanes in Brimingham. The outside, and more preferred lanes in 200m and 400m Indoor running (Lanes 5 & 6) are very slopey indeed. And Birmingham's track is no exception.

I shall search around the net, and see what I find.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When all is said and done this season, the sprints look brighter than they have in a long time for US women ...

Michelle was a bright star this indoor season ... I was certain seh was going sub 22 before her outdoor injury ... Add her and Colander Richardson to Kelli White, Torri Edwards, and Chrystie Gaines ... AND add a post birth Marion Jones and we could be as good and deep as we have ever been in the US on the women's side ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inger Miller is showing signs of returning to form, too. And don't forget about Allyson Felix, who has recently announced she's going pro.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Inger is done ... We're talking 5 years ago next season being her best ... She's been down since then ... Waaaay too long to be done and "bounce" back ...

Felix on the other hand may need a bit more seasoning ... She's tough ... No doubt about it ... But she got to most of the ladies while they were preparing for the middle and end of the season this year ... She will be a force ... But she has a ways to go before oshe breaks into next years top 3 or 4 ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inger showed this year she can be a factor again in the GL-level meets, so she deserves at least some respect. This was her first injury free year I can remember in some time. I see her as being just as big a factor next year as Maurice...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majoar difference between Inger and Maurice ... Maurice has shown each year to be capable of both competing against the best and winning and of popping the occasional big time ... Inger has stayed right around a level of mediocrity and run consistently slightly better than average times ...

Mo could possibly show up at nationals and run 9.95 which would have a good chance of putting him on the team ... Inger can show up and run maybe 11.05 which won't garner top 4 ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But both are at about the same level of competitiveness right now, and both are in that situation due to injuries.

For what it's worth, I think an 11.05 would garner top-4, and the US does get 4 to Athens in the 100m... The bigger question is if she's ready to run 11.05. But Mo's in a similar boat, having to beat out Gatlin, Capel, Williams, JJ, and Montgomery, all of whom were at least his equal this year. Of course, he's also got a bye, so it's sort of a moot point. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No byes in the Olympics .... Only top 3 finishers ...

The key in what you said was the word equal ... the men are fairly equal across the board right now ... A whole lot of 10.0xs !!!! Gatlin, Capel, Montgomery, Williams, Greene, Drummond, Johnson, and Patton ... These are the consistent guys in that range ... This party is very crashable ... Will be a matter of who is ready at Trials time OR one or two guys becoming clearly better before then ...

On the women's side there is a very clear distinction ... In the 100 you have Jones, White and Gaines that are clear 10.8 performers with Edwards as a solid 10.9 ... 11.0 has Williams, Colander, Lee and maybe Miller ... Cracking the top 4 (to get on the relay) is gonna be nie impossible given her recent perfrormances ...

Don't get me wrong ... I WANT her to make it ... I have been a BIG fan of HSI and its athletes ... It has pained me to see Inger and Mo and Ato struggle these past few seasons ... But every dynasty comes to an end ... SMTC did and it appears that HSI is where SMTC was coming into 1996 ... Still around, but not nearly the factor they were the games before ... Sad ...

Next question is: Who is the next big dog ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No byes in the Olympics .... Only top 3 finishers ...

Really? I thought the byes were in place for both the WC's and the Olympics. Confused

Without a bye, I agree it'll be tough for Inger to make the team. Jones and White have to be penciled in, although I'm still skeptical Marion will come back to T&F. What happend to the comeback meet she was supposed to run? Brussels, I believe? And White has had minor drug problems each of the past two years. You can bet the IAAF is licking its chops at the prospect of bringing down one of the top US dogs... Gaines is hard to put a finger on. Sort of like the Seattle Seahawks -- fast out of the gates and a terrible finish or sputtering at the start and world beaters at the end of the season. If she repeats this year's pattern, she won't be ready to make the team but would be a gold medal contender by August! Edwards would seem to be one of the few certainties of the group...

The one edge I give Mo is that he seems (of late) to hold his body together pretty well through the US Champs. He may well make the team and be unable to perform come Athens...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope ... No byes in the Olympics ... That is unique to the World Championships ... Was started in 1997 to acomodate Michael Johnson who was injured coming into the US Trials ...

I do think Marion will be back ... Don't know why, I just feel it at this point ... She does have an easy out (raising baby) but has made too much noise about coming back not to do so ...

So that makes the women's team pretty well set ... I do believe in White, Jones, and Gaines ... Key is that all are healthy come the Trials ... THAT will be paramount as I see Edwards and Colander waiting to pounce should anyone be a little off ...

As for the men let me toss my quarter !!! Key word will be health ... Gatlin missed out this time due to health and if Mo is not healthy so will he ... I think the 200 guys will double next year making the 100 final much tougher than this years ... This year there was no Mo, Capel, Patton, or Gatlin (injury) ... That is potentially half the final !!! Throw in an on again/ off again JJ Johnson ... Mickey Grimes who PR'd at 9.99 this season ... And Tim Montgomery and Bernard Williams who have both been there for the last few years and were last year's 1-2, and you have a potentially STRONG 100 final ... Sub 10 could miss making the team given a decent race !!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That men's squad is very even and very deep, which makes calling it all the tougher. 1-6 could go in just about any order, and if this year is any indication of what's to come in '04, winning times could range from low 9.9x to 10.08 or so. My early pick would have to be Gatlin, Williams, Greene.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: