Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
wc update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=fastest rulers]

fastest losers
We shall find out later who is th fastest ruler. Very Happy
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k gill wrote:
They could not split two of the three fastest rulers even to the third decimal race so have decided to allocate lane 9 for the third runner.

Going back to the 400m, you echo my sentiments exactly. I cannnot get worked up about the 400m either thanks to MJ.

One expects the contenders to run sub44, forgetting that MJ was special.
Even before MJ, three americans ran sub44 in 1988 and then everett running 43.81 at the 92 trials followed by watts olympic win in 43.50, not to mention a semi!!! in 43.71. The only problem was watts was a one hit wonder.

So a 44.60 semi just does not get that adrenalin rush going. But looking further than the times, should be a competitive race,better than 2001. All the american runners loking good, throw in raquil on home ground and blackwood, should make for a good final.

Yes but we are talking semis here ... And only twice has anyone run 43s in semis .. Typically mid to low 44s are what you look for in semis ... Now we will see what happens in the final ... I think Wasington can run high 43 in the final given a bit of a push ... Young looks to be in low 44 condition and I have no clue about Harrison who I gave up on two weeks ago ... But for you guys to be disappointed with 44 second semi finals is a bit much ... Now if the final goes that slow disappointment is in order ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be partly our perception of what a good time is after 3 years of seeing 44.9 dominate GL meets and 45.5 place well.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time meter:

sub 44 - the ultimate
44.50 - 44.00 - Outstanding
45.00 - 44.50 - Very good
45.50 - 45.00 - Good
45.99 - 45.50 - Decent
Anything 46.00 and above needs work
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great final, collins wins from lane 1 in 10.07.
Forget the time, the slowest since the inaugural wc in 1983 (and this comes from a person who takes times very seriously), but this in my view was the most exciting 100 final I have seen in a long while.

You can throw the formbook out of the window. No greene in the final, chamber doesn,t medal and an 18 year old takes the silver and britians number three, who would have done well just to make the semis takes the bronze.

I do not even recall a closer finish an any major champioship before.
Collins 10.07
Brown 10.08
Campbell 10.08
Chambers 10.08
montgomery 10.11
Williams 10.13
Aliu 10.21
Emedolu 10.22

And the worst american performance since atlanta.

It was always going to be an interesting final as it was so wide open , unlike previous finals where one runner has it firmly in the bag, and you are more concerned as to who will take the lesser medals. This will pure speculation rigt till the end.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my gut was right ... I felt like something odd was gonna happen ... With the DQ of Drummond and the final results being as they were I'd say this was a most ominous race !!!

Chambers and Montgomery proved me right ... Neither is champion quality ... Fast does not equal champion ... This was the best opportunity either will ever have ... And note that neither has run sub 10 since Paris last year !!!!

I am excited about the kid Browne !!! Which leads me to the question: What happened to MLF ??? HE was supposed to be the future ... But apparently the future arrived early for young Mr. Browne ...

Also appears that the best sprinters this year may just be Capel and Gatlin ... Both could end up being sub 10 and sub 20 ... Which would somewhat confirm my theory that doubling - not speicalizing - is the way to the top in sprinting ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right. To be agreat 100m runner you have to be able to reproduce that quality over the longer sprint as greene, boldon and fredericks have proven over the last decade.

On the other hand you can be a great 200m runner without being as good at 100m.

Montgomery and chambers do not have championship mettle, in fact campbell is not as talented but always figures in the big meets and comes away with a medal, 200 silver in sydney and know a bronze against much better sprinters.

MLF may have peaked too early. I just hope he is not those young progidies who fade away in adulthood, like roy martin and lorenzo daniel in the eighties. MLF has the physical stature to look like a future champion. Maybe he shoud join HSI.

A great race but a bit of an anti-climax to the 100m this season. Slow times and no one able to consolidate their position as no 1.
But with these new runners on the scene like gatlin, brown and powell, it bodes well for olympic year.

I don,t want to count greene out yet, but two bad seasons, it seems like the best is behind him. I don,t think the desire is there anymore. He has achieved all their is to achieve.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am puzzled by MLF ... He seems to have all the tools ... Yet Browne went right by him this year as the top young sprinter ... I hate to say it but I think his problem is that right now he looks to Chambers as his mainj rival and trains to beat HIM ... He must train to beat the world ... I too think he needs a change of atmosphere ... Be it HSI or Graham or whomever ... I think people forget that Chambers only has a handful of sub 10s and only two under 9.97 ... In reality he is not much faster (on average) than Collins ...

This year has indeed turned out to be the transition season I thought it would be ... Not sure I am ready to count Greene and Boldon out ... Boldon ran his best this season in a while ... And Greene again went sub 10 ... Takes a while to overcome injury ... Took Fredericks the better part of two seasons ... But this is the second time in the last two Worlds that Mo's quad has gone out ... That is not good ...

As for Montgomery, he has been around as long as Mo and has yet to truly distinguish himself ... Yes i know he has the WR ... And a couple of other sub 9.90s ... But hehas consistently lost to Greene ... And as this year proved just can not get to the front in a major raace ...

The event definitely looks ready for the young ... Capel is at his best right now and getting better ... He is just learning how to run ... Same for GAtlin and Patton ... I view these as the US's top 3 young talaent ... Williams is the same age as Capel but he has mental issues as well in my opinion and has left the best coaach he had in Smith ... Until he finds a better coaching arrangement he will not reaach his potential either ... On the world stage Bolt and Browne appear ready to step up big time .... And there isa bevy of young talnet here in teh states ... Question is how it gets developed ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be that premature regarding boldon. Apparently he has announced
that this will be his last season. However, I feel he will be talked into running next year, after all it is the olympics.

Other news hot off the press. Kenteris pulls out of the 200m citing a persistent injury. Kim collins decides not to go for a double.

John drummond pulls out of the rest of the wc, I suppose saving the IAAF the trouble of suspending him. A decision was to be made on thursday. Apart from the sympathy from the spectators he has been heavily criticised by fellow athletes for his actions.

Also, gail devers fails to make a hurdle final for the first time.
Jenny adams looks like americas best hope, winning the third semi but foster looks too strong.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really shakes up the men's 200, not to mention the men's relay and women's hurdles. I'd have to say it'll be a pretty big disappointment now if the US doesn't get two guys on the medal stand in the deuce.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young wins the 400m in convincing fashion in a modest 44.50 upsetting washington who took silver in 44.77. Raquil looked the most impresssive, coming back from nowhere to come through with a bronze. Blackwood finished fourth in 44.80. In fact their was little seperating 2nd to 5th places, it looked more like yesterdays 100m final.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US was gonna get two medals in the deuce Kenteris or not ... Wink ...
question now is what is going to happen in the womens hurdles ... I thought Gail was a near lock for gold there ... McKelvy looked good though ... I like Jenny tons but she lacks the foot speed ... Will have to be a lot of hurdle hitting for her to win it ...

And the relay should be just fine ... I would run:

Capel/Gatlin/Patton/Johnson ... They are just as fast as any foursome we could put together and may actually be the best one we have regardless .... They can run mid 37 which should win it easily ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that relay would be a lot more reliable than one with Tim and Mo, both of whom are uncertainties to finish races or even line up for them... Speed shouldn't be a problem at all, just a matter of how well they pass the stick.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically injuries and athletes leaving the scene may be in our favor this time ... Make for a more cohesive unit ... The big question leading into the meet was whether or not Tim and Mo could run together ... Now we don't have ot worry about it ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 3 726 Guevara Ana MEX 48.89 (WL) 0.242
2 5 593 Fenton Lorraine JAM 49.43 (SB) 0.177
3 6 985 Thiam Amy Mbacke SEN 49.95 (SB) 0.175
4 7 930 Nazarova Natalya RUS 49.98 0.170
5 4 69 Williams Tonique BAH 50.38 0.151
6 8 945 Zykina Olesya RUS 50.59 0.107
7 1 403 McConnell Lee GBR 51.07 0.205
8 2 934 Pospelova Svetlana RUS 51.30 0.145

Now that's a race! Fast times and great depth. Looks like we're seeing a resurgence in the women's 400.

Guevara must've been napping in the blocks...

For you Fantasy T&F'ers keeping score at home, Guevara's run is worth a stellar 198.65 points.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: