Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
How to run a 3200

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2000 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew what is the proper way to run a 3200. I haven't run one in over a year. There is a small track meet tomorrow and I want to run the 3200. Any advice on running this race. My pr's are 800 (2:01) and 1600 (4:34). Any ideas on what type of time I should be shooting for? Thanks a bunch.
Mark

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mark Wilkins']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from the standpoint of someone without much 3200 experience and more accustomed to the shorter distances like yourself, I would lean toward approaching in conservatively. Give yourself a chance to finish strong. If you feel good halfway through, start attacking it.

Good luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've run the 3200, but I'll tell you how I ran it in high school. I was a much stronger runner than most (although I didn't have much speed to speak of!) so I would grind them down by running even splits for the first mile, then picking it u each lap for the second mile. For example, at state meet my senior year, I wanted to run a 9:30 (I come from Maryland where a 9:30 is actualy a smokin' time!). I went out even at 4:52, each lap being about a :73. Then I took the pace down a little bit each 220 and ran a 4:39 second mile to win in 9:31. Another way is to go out hard and wear runners out that way, then hang on, but personally I like to finish fast. Good luck!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Michael Styczynski']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tactical advice, although something that takes quite a bit of practice for most people to accomplish.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: