Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
World Championship Predictions for the Sprints

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, sure would've been nice to see White, Edwards, PBlock, and Thanou in the women's race. Could've been quite the barn burner.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we will ... In bought a week ... Put up or shut up time ... Final predictions anyone ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a clue on the men's side, but I'll predict the women's 100m:

1) White
2) Sturrup
3) Arron
4) P-Block
5) Edwards
6) Thanou
7) Feguson
8) Gaines

* Hurtis - wildcard if someone above doesn't show.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm .... I need a few days to think about the men ... But the women's is almost as difficult ... Did you notice GAines' 10.89 ??? Puts her in the thick of things ... Specially since she has been getting better all along this summer ... Thanou is like her team mate Kenteris ... You don't know what's going on with them til raace time but they are usually ready ... Pintusevich will be interesting as well as she has been coming back from injury ... Could be teh two most open sprint finals in quite some time ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 10.89 made picking my list more difficult, but I don't see her duplicating that. Seemed to be a very fast day in general for the sprints, and several of the people I see being better than her weren't in attendance. She's always in the thick of things, but it just seems like it'll take a disappointing race from one of my top 7 to slip. If Gaines beats anyone in that group, it'll probably be Ferguson, and possibly Edwards if she's stretched too thin from 100/200/4x100 duty.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious ... White and Sturrup have ot be the favorites in my opnion ... Gotta respect Arron ... She closes to fast not to ..

Men, I stll gotta go with a threesome of Green, Williams, and Collins ... Capel and GAtlin will not be in the race ... Tim seems out of it ... Dwain can't win outside Britain ... And everyone else is a pretneder ... The one I could see upsetting things believe it or not is Drummond ... Seems to be coming around at the right time this year ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sold on Greene this year. I think Aliu, Zakari, or MLF are more likely to break through.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 m:
1. Bernard Williams(USA)
2. Tim Montgomery(USA)
3. Maurice Green(USA)
8. Patrick Johnson(AUS)

200m:
1. Kostantinos Kenderis(GRE)
2. Christian Malcolm(GBR)
3. John Capel(USA)

400m:
1. Tyree Washington(USA)
2. Marc Raquil(FRA)
3. Ingo Schultz (GER)
4. Jerome Young(USA)

4x100m:
1.USA
2.GBR
3. POL
4. ITA
5. TRI -- after a mess-up (they are due after USA, and GBR)

4x400m:
1. USA
2. JAM
3. BAH
4. GER
5. GBR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way does Tim take the silver, in my opinion. Malcolm for silver is also a long shot... I would think Frankie is more likely. Darvis Patton qualified, right?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look like TFN predictions ....

100 ... Greene looked solid in Berlin .. Based on that I make him the favorite ... John Smith knows as well as anyone how to prepare his athletes ... And Greene knows championships ... Montgomery will be none factor here ... Collins and Bernard fight for other medals with Chambers just outside ...

200 ... Capel has done nothing but run better and faster in Europe ... A PR 9.97 says it all to me as his best race is 200 ... Capel in well under 20.00 ... Same for Patton ... PR 10.00 in 100 says he too is ready to go sub 20 ... Bronze will be fight between Kenteris, JJ Johnson and Fredericks .... Could be best sprint race ..

400 ...Washington in a cake walk ... With Young 2nd ... Question mark here is Harrison ... Hasn't seemed fit otherwise I wouldsay sweep here ... Have to go with Shultz for Bronze ...

4x1 ... US easily in 37. 44 ... GB will fight for medals with Cuba and BRAzil with Italy just outside ...

4x4 ... US ... Pick em after that ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sticking to my earlier prediction of chambers, collins and williams in that order.

Capel is looking good and so i will go for him in the 200, with kenteris second and patton or fredericks for the bronze.

Washington should take the 400m but i believe the jamaican runner to take silver.

Womens 100m, I still think it will be sturrups year, with white second.

We all have to admit that we are basing our decisions not entirely from our heads but also from our hearts. I would so dearly love to see chambers win and see you americanos eat humblepie. Besides that, the favourites for gold in the british team are starting to drop like flies through injury so we need something to hang onto.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We all have to admit that we are basing our decisions not entirely from our heads but also from our hearts.

No question. There are very few people completely free from bias, and I know I'm not one of them.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there is some heart involved ... Greene will either win or flame ... I don't see much in between for him ... An American 1-2 in teh 200 would be nice to say the least ... But there is some head behind the heart ... All will become clear very soon now ... Thumbs Up Wink
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: helsinki Reply with quote

Helsinki update..

Not many big names taking part, preferring to wait for Paris.

However, a competitive 100m. No fast times though.

1. Patton 10.14
2. Nkanshah 10.14
3. Crawford 10.16
4. Gatlin 10.17
5. Fredericks 10.20
6. P johnson 10.29

Some surprise finishing orders but concentrating on those who will be in paris, nkanshah seems to be coming together in the week that counts, but it seems like patrick johnson had peaked to early and is consistently churning out mediocre performances . Unless he can muster up something remarkable, it is hard to see him make the final. As for
fredericks the 200m is where he may make a mark.

Staying with the 200m, close finish between crawford and jj johnson. Crawford came back strongly over the last 40 or so meters to sneak
a win in 20.26 to 20.32.

Question. Am i correct to believe johnson will be in paris for the 200m with patton and capel.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be very tough for P. Johnson to return to form after an extended so-so stretch so far removed from his peak running. The only way to really recover from that is to take a lot of time off and return to base work for a new peak, but that's no longer an option...

Patton seems to be getting dramatically sharper over the past few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how that carries over to his staple event, the 200m.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: