Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
College Scholarships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan,

I was wondering if a athelete is offered a scholarship to a school (lets give UM for an example), do they still have to apply to the college like any other student? Or will the coach help them out in accepting them. Because even though my grades pass the clearinghouse, I don't think that college would accept me because of my grades. Does the track coach have a say to tell them to accept me because I was offered a track scholarship? Or is it totally up to the addmissions dept.?? So what Im trying to say is if they offer my a scholarship (which I hope they do, at the end of this spring season) should I not even consider it because of my grades? or is there hope? My track goals this year are 48-400, 1:54 800.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2001 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it varies from school to school, and every school has differing academic standards and flexibilities, but I believe most schools provide some leeway based on strong recommendations from the coaching staff. There generally will be some minimum requirement that still must be met, but making a good impression with the coach certainly can't hurt.

Best of luck, and have a great senior season! Smile

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Do track atheletes have to follow the application deadlines? b/c i dont understand. Track starts in the spring and application deadlines for UM are march 1st. What should I do? I don't even think i should even try to apply. My only hope of getting in would be because of track.
you also said but I believe most schools provide some leeway based on strong recommendations from the coaching staff." Does this only mean the guys who were offered a scharship, or could it also mean the guy who can run a 48 and the coach wants him but doesnt offer a scholarship?
thanks alotDan!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert in this area, but...

I would be surprised if application deadlines provide flexibility for athletics, but I think updated test scores (i.e. SAT) are generally accepted after the filing deadline.

Recruiting for track athletes basically happens in the fall of their senior year and is based primarily on what they accomplished their junior year. Most coaches probably carry some weight as far as their advice concerning who to lower the entry standards slightly or improve the financial aid package for, but a deadline is a deadline.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the actual definition of recruiting? Does that mean scholarships? does it mean you still have a easier chance of getting in the college even if the coach recruits you but offers no scholarships??
Thanks again Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiting is the process of contacting and pursuing athletes that are of interest to the program. Scholarships are only a small part of recruiting, as many schools (NCAA DIII) cannot even offer them for athletics.

I don't think you can officially be offered a scholarship if the school cannot or will not accept you. If the coaches are interested enough to recruit you, then they're probably interested enough to put in a good word for you with Admissions.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2001 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is too late or not, but I beleive that sometimes admissions criteria for athletes are set up by the conference in which they compete. I attend the University of Texas and I know that for the Big 12, admissions criteria are much lower than what it would take to normally get into UT. In fact when the Big 8 and the SWC combined to make the Big 12 a few years back, there was a big battle over what the criteria would be. UT and Texas A&M pushed for higher standards and lost to Nebraska and OU who wanted to retain the lower Big 8 standards. I recommend finding out if UM admits based on conference criteria or not. If so, it could be much easier to get in.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mike']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: