Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Drug use in sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum (my second post) and so far I love it, hopefully this subject won't get me flamed cause I hope to be welcome around here, but after doing a bit of exploring and reading I found the post in the training section about creatine and I answered the survey (I answered, "if its legal than whats the big deal") and was very surprised to find that almost 1/4 of the individuals who responded thought that it was "Cheating" ( I believe it was actually worded in a way to make it sound like it was as bad as "drugs")
Now first of all I will say that I come from a strength sports background (bodybuilding and powerlifting) but have lots of friends who have competed at various levels of cycling and even a couple of swimmers and the use of legal supplements (and even the ones that may be considered "grey") is never even blinked at by actual competitors.
Now like I said I can't make specific claims to competitive runners but I'm pretty sure an athlete is an athlete and if they can use it they will. And even if they can't, they'll often try to.
I will go out on a limb and say that I believe that most world records set today (including those in endurance sports) are a result of a variety of factors including
1) Improved training methods
2)Improved knowledge of nutrition
3) and PHARMACEUTICAL enhancement of one form or another.
Maybe you guys think I'm being a fatalist (I prefer to see my self as a realist as far as this goes) but I think maybe someone here remembers the exact numbers of a survey that was done a few years ago on olympic athletes. They were asked if they would be willing to take a pill that would guarantee a gold medal but would result in there death (I believe that a year time frame was given) would they take it, the majority said yes, and if I'm not mistaken it was well over 60% that answered this way.
Like I said I hope I don't stir up trouble but if there are individuals who think that drugs aren't a part of sports I think they're deceiving themselves.
And if people are just stating that they think no supplements should be used, then where do we draw the line? After all high levels of caffeine will cause you to fail an IOC drug test and for those that weren't aware you're also not allowed to use hypnosis to try and improve athletic performance (does this also make "positive thinking" against the rules?)?
I feel I need to state that I am definately not PRO-Drug, Just pro TRUTH.
Just wanting to get opinions and stimulate interesting conversation, If there are high level competitive runners that can offer there specific opinions and experience on the use of drugs in running I'd love to hear them.

lionbait

[Anonymously Posted by: 'lionbait']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnosis is illegal in sports?!?! I guess I'll have to change my running tips page on visualization...

I agree with you 100% on all your points. (I worded the survey about Creatine use so that anyone who felt strongly could find the answer they were looking for.)

Interesting that you should mention the survey about Olympic athletes and drug use. I was just talking to someone about that a few weeks ago. My recollection was that it was something like 80-90% and that they would die within 5 years of winning the gold medal. In my discussion, I learned a few things (and since forgot most of them...) about the actual survey that article was taken from -- SI, I believe. First, the question is one of many asked of all US Olympic qualifiers. Second, it's more like 15 years later that they will die -- just long enough to disappear from the window of short-term consideration. I'm not sure what the actual percentage was. Still, quite alarming.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I agree with both of you. There is no reliable test to detect the growth hormone. Although, there may be in the next few years. Therefore, we should see a lot of sprinters and other strength athletes, who are ready to finish their careers as the world class competitive races in the near future (and thus escape the stigma of the "dope user" when the test will become available), perform much better than the athletes above (let say) 29 ever have had.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Bob Dekolak']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, but I'd be very much surprised if another drug doesn't come along a month or so before HGH becomes detectable... In the computer industry, they call it planned obsolescense, and it's quite disturbing when you hear insiders talk about the details.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: