Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Trouble getting back to the groove.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Trouble getting back to the groove. Reply with quote

48 yrs old. 5'9 190lbs. Up until about 2 years ago I used to run 5 - 10 miles a couple of times a week. ( along with some biking and swimming ). For no good reason I quit. For the last 3 weeks I've been struggling to get past 2 miles. The problem is all in my calves and feet. My calves get tight and fatigue and my feet go numb. Tried dif shoes. Nothing else gets taxed. ( I'm 10 lbs heavier than I was 2 years ago. ) Any advice aside from thinking good thoughts and making it from telephone pole to telephone pole?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing there indicates that you shouldn't be able to get back into the swing of things, so I'd guess it's mostly just a matter of regaining conditioning. In those cases, it's often best to forget about where you previously were (for the time being) and just focus on gradually building back up. Take run/walk breaks if necessary, and make sure to stretch out your calves and arches regularly.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dan said...and go to a specialty running store and let them analyze your running gait and make sure you are in the right shoe for your feet. Good luck and hang in there. You will improve in no time at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: