Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
The 4x1 in 2003

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... But he is the main bit of trouble in all this now isn't he ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you're getting at... Trouble is trouble, no? I suppose if they can get through the relay in one piece, then what comes next isn't of great consequence. Although, the Sydney 2000 4x100 had a rather lasting effect...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is if you take Tim out of the equation everything works just fine ... No matter who else you insert .... Tim creates the problem as in where to put him ... And no matter what happens, what is going to come out of his mouth .... He is not an easy fix into the system ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you're suggesting not putting Tim on the team? I wouldn't argue with that.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I were coach ... Either he would comply with my earlier suggestion or I would change the squad ... We take the wrong approach anyway ... The team should be chosen by position ... Not by placement in a race ... Best starter combined with turn running ability ... Next two spots need to be very good with the stick - receiving and passing ... Leg two obviously a good stretch runner .. Leg three a great turn runner ... And the anchor man a great closer AND very strong mentally - to be able to handle whatever the situation is when the stick gets to that point ... So I would be willling to look at hurdlers, long jumpers and long sprinters - 2 & 4 - when picking my team ... Imagine some of the following on relays :

MJ on the third leg ..
Mike Conley on the third leg ...
Larry Myricks on the second leg ...
Quincy Watts anchor ...
Terrance Trammell second leg ...

Currently you could use the likes of:

JJ Johnson
John Capel
Trammell
Wade
Darvis Patton

Best team in history in my opinion was the 1977 World Cup team which set a then WR of 38.03 with only 2 quality sprinters - Steve Riddick leg 2 and Steve Williams anchor ... Lead off Bill Collins and thrid leg Cliff Wiley were journeyman sprinters in the 10.2x range and Wiley moved up to the quarter and ran 44.70 ... But turn running ability and excellent hands landed both on the relay ... And they set a stunning record - one that would still be competitive in most events today !!!
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Are not the relay's the last event to be contested? Reply with quote

___Are not the relay's the last event to be contested? If this is the case, then I do not see a problem. Whovere does better in the 100 m final race should run the anchor-leg in the final of the 4 x 100 meters. Razz Cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team needs to be set well before the meet even begins ... Quite frankly they should already have practice sessions established .... Waiting until after the 100 has been run has contributed to many of the problems that have occured in the past ....

And while the US should have an obvious advantage on speed, the relay is about moving the baton ... And there are squads out there with enough speed that we can be upset if we pass the stick poorly ... Not nearly as simple as just putting 4 fast guys out there and saying go get the gold ...

And as I have explained above, simply becasue you win a race doesn't mean ou are anchor material ... Quite frankly some of the best anchors I've seen have been guys who couldn't win the 100 because of poor starts but were serious closers and were much better off without the blocks ...

Relay runnign is a science ... Which nations like Russia and Poland and Germany have shown time and time again ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: 4x100 Reply with quote

Talking of anchors, calvin smiths run in karl marx stadh ,1982 was a real corker, making up a big deficit to pip the german at the post.

In zurich later on that year he ran the third leg with lattany, floyd and lewis given theanchor. That was a great lineup, ran 38.13, missing the 1977 set record.

After that, the third leg became smiths permanent spot and he proved a great bend runner even though he showed he could run equally well on the homestretch.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting set of circumstances that seems to support my gut feeling that a good relay runner is a good relay runner regardless of position. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, so the goal of setting the order is more to put your fastest foursome where they're least uncomfortable than to get the fastest guy at each of the 4 positions. If you have someone incapable of running a particular leg well (leadoff may be the one exception, as it rules out bad starters), then they probably aren't one of your 4 best relay runners in the first place.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm .. I will slightly disagree .. Only because there is such a differnce in running the straight and running the turn ... Rey Robinson was an outstanding relay runner yet could not negotiate the turn ... As a result, even though he was co-holder of the WR at 9.9, he was left off the 4x1 in 72 ...

I think that applies to "great" relay runners ... But some guys are truly limited to straights and turns ... At least in my humble opinion ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you would object on the basis of turn running abilities, and I can't really disagree with that. I would just say that most good relay runners are likely to be solid in both the 100 and 200, which would imply they can also run a good turn. It's sort of working backward, but it gets you there in the end...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's if you go with my theory of using the best available talent .. And do not limit your self to the 8 finalists in the 100 meters ... Then you get guys with multiple talents ... Wink
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 by 100 meters in the European Cup -- Super League Reply with quote

Indeurr wrote:
38.42 Italy ITA 1 Firenze 21 06 2003

38.45 Poland POL 2 Firenze 21 06 2003

38.52 United States USA 1 Walnut, CA 19 04 2003
(Avery Jerome, Miller Coby, Armstrong Aaron, Johnson Joshua J.)
38.56 Japan JPN 1 Osaka 10 05 2003

___I remember when I wrote somewhere in the IAAF fora that when in the top shape, the Poles, with a near perfect relay run, can run around 38.50. I was wrong, in a rather poor shape, the Poles ran faster. The same certainly applies to the Italian team that holds now season best 06/24/2003). Both teams, it seems, with the respect to the top four athletes, seem to be averaging around 10.5 s per 100 meters.
___If the Italians, the Poles, and the Japanese will keep it up, or improve, the situation in the 4 x 100 m relay will become very unpredictable. The side effect of the pressure put by these teams on the "super powers" may be more falls, faults, and drops.

__Let see how much should they improve:
___1) Jedrusinski_20.44 to 20.30 -0.14s/2=-0.07s
___2) Urbas_____20.73 to 20.40 -0.33s/2=-0.16s
___3) Chyla_____10.38 to 10.20 ________-0.18s
___4) Krzywanski_10.47 to 10.35_________-0.12s
___5) Nowak_____10.50 to 10.35_________-0.15s
- (0.07 + 0.16 + 0.18 + 0.15) = - 0.56 s OR - 0.53 s
___Therefore, in the best case scenario, they should clock 37.90s.

Robert "Hornet" Kolakowski, son of Stanislaw "Stanley" and Eugenia, brother of Marzena, of Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA, formerly of Bialystok, Poland

___Why do I sign it? When I wrote in these fora that the Polish men's 4 x 100 m team can potentially run under 38.50 seconds, I myself thought that I am insane. If I remember, I signed my prediction, and the reality verified my prediction to be true. I will not miss an opportunity to make another risky prediction, and again, I will take credit for it.
___Poland, 4 x 100 m men's team, will win a medal in the 2003'World Championships, finishing in 37.90 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: