Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Figure 8 exercise for shin splints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cameron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Figure 8 exercise for shin splints Reply with quote

I read your exercise for helping shin splints but i couldnt understand it too well, if you could write it as if you where explaining it to a 5 year old it would help me get my head round it. Cheers for this, I really need to sort out my injuries before starting my running training again.

Thank you for your time
Cameron
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular part of it that you didn't understand? Sort of hard to re-describe something I've already described as best I can without something specific to target in more detail...

Dan
Cameron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: shin splints Reply with quote

where do i attach the tube to my foot and do i hole the other end?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hold
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply stick your foot through the loop in the tubing and find a spot (usually around the base of the toes) that allows you to pull back on the other end without it slipping down or off your foot. And yes, you do hold the other end of the tubing. That's what allows you to vary the resistance.

Dan
cameron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

thank you very much,
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Remember to be dilligent about the exercise (once or twice a day) and to stick with it for a good 2 weeks to give it time to do its thing.

Dan
Cameron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found another way of strengthening the ankle and lower leg muslces using ankle weights and some strange techniques. Id just like to say that i think this is an excellent website for runners, i myself am a short distance runner turned middle distance.
jl_nz
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Excuse my complete ignorance Reply with quote

I am still having trouble working out how to do the shin splin figure 8. exercises.
So.....I am seated on a chair. I understand that I put my foot through the loop in the tube with the tube at the base of my toes. But when you say pull 'back' do you mean pull 'up' away from the floor? And the circles are small circles rotating your foot from the ankle?

Thanks. I am trying to be able to run again. Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull away from your foot, thus creating the resistance. The circles should be smooth and controlled, as full range as possible.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole idea of the figure 8 here is: when your toe is in the up position, your heel will be down; when your toe is in the down position, your heel will be up; thus creating a figure 8-like movement.
So think of making big circles with your toe, 20 to 30, both ways, clockwise and counter clockwise.
When I do these, even my lower leg will swing a bit back and forth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Dan! Smile

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works. Cool

Dan
jl_nz
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Oooohhhhh.......I get it Reply with quote

I understand now. Thanks very much! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: