Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
World Class sprinters in football

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't I read page 3 of this topic? It says 'no topics exist for this thread".

Justin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How odd. Now I can...

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably because I deleted your accidental duplicate post from yesterday, which has a tendency to screw up this forum software's count of pages/topics. It probably thought there's one more post than there is, thus the link to an additional page, but the additional page was smart enough to know it didn't exist...

Sorry to have wasted 30 seconds of your life with that explanation. Embarassed

Dan
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some discussion of this on the IAAF forums:

http://www.iaaf.org/community/forums/ListThread.htmx?lngCatId=67&ForumID=140&TopicID=11808

(Hope you don't mind my linking to another form site Dan!)

The conclusions are much as we arrived at here, but there is a little more technical detail and a good list of track/gridiron converts.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind at all. Smile

I found the first post contained a few funny things, as well as a questionable conclusion:
Quote:
Barry Sanders was not a sprinter. I bet he couldn't run a 10.40 no time in his career. Curtis Dickey was a 10.11 sprnter for Texas AM and a footballer he weighted 220. He also was a running back.

Sanders could run circles around Dickey.

Of course, Barry Sanders couldn't run straight if he tried! Ever watch him unintentionally veer across the field on a wide-open breakaway run? Wouldn't have fared too well in a laned race...

Quote:
My point in all of this is that speed is so over rated in football.

I strongly disagree. It might be overvalued when prospecting for new talent, but it's one of the most essential qualities on the field (along with instincts to be in the right place at the right time, footwork, strength, agility, and skill level).

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is more important in football ... Speed ... Quickness ... Explosion ... In my playing experiences (and watching the sport for decades) I would say speed itself is the least important .. Quickness, moving ones feet well, explosiveness, the ability to create space ... These are the things that are necessary on a football field ... Speed only works when one has open space in which to use it ... If you can sxplode by someone then your speed becomes effective ... But if you can not separate from others you can never put yourself in a position to use your speed ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But speed can also create space... Speed by itself is just one of many important qualities, but someone with below average speed will need to be above average in another category(s) to make up for it. Slipping a tackle doesn't do you much good if you instantly get caught by the next pursuer...

More importantly, speed in football often becomes a comparison of offensive players for whatever reason. I think it is much more significant on the defensive end, where "team speed" is usually the major difference between teams.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But again are we talking speed or quickness ?? Steve Williams, Donovan Bailey, Carl Lewis all had speed ... I dare say none would have done well in football as it tooke each a while to get to their top speed .. Whereas the likes of Houston McTear, Andre Cason, and Jon Drummond would stand a chance of doing very well ..

Speed is fine if we are talking wide reciever .. You have the time to get their and utilize it ... That is what made Hayes great - and he had hands ... But at other positions - running back, quarterback - it is quickness of feet and explosive bursts that get it done ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see quickness as a component of speed. All the quickness in the world does you little good if you max out on top-end speed after 2 steps... So yes, quickness is at least as important, but by itself it is no more important than speed is. And neither does any good without the necessary skills to play the position effectively...

Evading tackles seems more a matter of mobility than either quickness or speed.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible Samie Parker might make this sprinter-footballer list wih the improvement he has shown this season.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope he does more than just follow in the footsteps of former Duck Pat Johnson...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: