FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Still unable to push myself

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Still unable to push myself Reply with quote

I feel as though I may be regressing. I've been doing the heart rate monitor thing now for several months and my cardiovascular system seems to be improving quite a bit, but my running is not. I know that doesn't make any sense, but let me explain.

My resting heart rate is 55 bpm. Max heart rate is 206. But at 175-180, I feel terrible. Winded, slow, just want to stop. And this 175-180 is at a pace that a month ago would have yielded 185-190. I can't seem to put the two together, speed and endurance. My endurance days consist of 4-5 miles at 10-11 min pace. My speed days are 400 intervals at 90-100 sec each. But if I run a 5k, I'm worthless. Just can't seem to push through the misery.

I'm at about 15.5 miles for the week, 4 of which were run in combat boots. Today was just the most demoralizing. Maybe I've overtrained slightly, as I haven't done that many miles in a week for a little while, but I'd like to be over 20 by the time I leave. (6 weeks from now)

Officer Candidate school is a mere 6 weeks away. And if I go there like this, they'll eat me alive.

Thanks for listening to me bitch
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tempo runs may be your answer. Things like 3-4 miles alternating a mile up-tempo and half mile at slightly faster than a jog. Try to stretch out that "in between" energy system to compliment the short and long stuff you're already doing.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dan said. Tempo runs would be good for you right now. Need to get the body used to running a faster pace for an extended time. A workout I have always liked is a 4 miler where you increase your pace every mile. Start with an easy warmup mile then get faster with each one until you are really pushing the last one. Or run a warmup mile then push the next two and finish with a cool down mile.

I've never used the heart rate monitor but I have heard they may not be as accurate at altitude...and aren't you at high elevation?
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the tempo run today. It was sloppy and probably far off the text book tempo run, but its a start. I have a 4.7 mile course I use for my endurance days. I took about 2 minutes off my normal time for that course doing the tempo thing. Last mile was the fastest. I will continue to incorporate these runs. Tomorrow is hills.

I am looking into the heart rate monitor at altitude issue. I've never heard of that but I emailed Polar to see what they say. I get exactly the same readings on the treadmills that read my telemetry strap and the hand sensor types on other cardio machines at the gym, so I don't know. Todays run I averaged 178 BPM and maxed out during the last mile at 195.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there, the tempo runs will be a little hard right now but you will get used to it.

BTW, a close friend's son had his last training flight today with the Marines and will find out which plane he is being assigned in the next few days. I believe my buddy pulled a muscle from strutting around too much. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what Micah said. Don't fret the tempo run quality right now. It's all about briding the gap between energy systems, so it will feel awkward until you get used to it. There's no real right or wrong way to do a tempo run. Mostly just a way to mix things up and extend the duration of what you can maintain moderate intensity for.

Dan
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Micah, do you know what stage of the aviation pipeline your buddy's son is in? I too am an aviation candidate, I may know him or of him. If not, I may want to get in touch with him for some words of wisdom. If he just completed primary I should be where he is at in about two years or so.

I may have been overtraining a bit. I have been unable to reach my max heart rate as of late. Is it possible that one's lungs can lag behind the rest of the cardiovascular system? I've noticed that the same workouts are yielding lower heart rates, thus forcing me to increase the intensity my runs. However it seems my lungs won't let me hit my max anymore. I can't get my heart rate above 192 now, it just feels like I can't get enough air. Three different stress tests yielded 206 a few months ago. Is it possible my lungs are lagging from years of smoking my damn lucky strike non-filters? Don't even ask. I haven't touched the damn things in over a year. But maybe I'm paying for it now...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar enough with the HRM's to speculate. What you may be going through right now is just a rut. Take a couple of days off and see how you feel then. You won't loose any fitness during that time and it may just help.

The guy I was talking about was just informed he will be flying the Harrier. He has a year of training at Cherry Point and then assignment to an operational squadron. I'll get all the details and bring them to Quantico with me.
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hit 20 miles for the week today. I upped my mileage quite a bit obviously. So now my goal is 25 by the time I go. I still need to lose 10-12 lbs over the next 5 weeks as well. I'm still slow, too. But the tempo runs and some cruise intervals and fartleks should help me a lot. I realized I haven't been bridging the gap enough. I have endurance days and speed days. I need days that incoprorate both. So I should make some more good gains over the next 5 weeks. My speed days are pretty strong, I can keep my 400's under 100 seconds now pretty consistently.

That's great about your buddy's son. I'm sure he'll love the Harrier. I am hoping for hornets myself, but at this point I'd fly anything the Corps gave me. If he just got selected for AV-8's then he just completed advanced jets. So he is about 3-4 years ahead of me.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I realized I haven't been bridging the gap enough. I have endurance days and speed days. I need days that incoprorate both.

Uh, isn't that what I said? Confused

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was at my peak.... Rolling Eyes

Yeah Jafar, 20 years and 30 pounds ago I ran 17:51 for 3 miles. One of the workouts I did leading up to that was a 2-3 mile run at 6:45-7:00 pace. I would do that twice a week. It seemed to be a good run for "bridging" that gap between strictly speed and strictly endurance work.

The Harrier guy is several years ahead of you. I think he may already be a First Lieutenent. He's been through OCS and the Basic School of course and then to get to the point he is now would put him about that far wouldn't it?

BTW, I was in the Air Force and flew an LMD for four years.
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
Uh, isn't that what I said? Confused

Dan[/quote]

Indeed it was! And you are absolutely correct. Your input has helped me quite a bit. I can really feel the two different energy systems. And they are quite different. So incorprating them both isn't easy for me, but I'm struggling through it.

Thanks again to everyone.
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafar wrote:
at this point I'd fly anything the Corps gave me.

I heard they have a hot "Link Trainer" from the 50's they are saving just for you! Laughing

Glad you are having luck with the running! Very Happy

Micah and you need to let me know how to contact y'all, so I can make plans to drive down for a day or two. I do not mind the 2-3 hour drive to meet you guys.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will continue to be on the forum while I am up there. You can contact me here or I will have a hotmail acount that is warthog705@hotmail.com
Don't try to use the email account that shows up here at run-down because I won't be checking it. Use the hotmail.

I will be there all of July and August and hope we can get together for a beer and a steak. Thumbs Up
baby t
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: motivation Reply with quote

Beginning cross country my soph year in college I had the same problem. My coach helped me work it out. One thing is to make goals and reward yourself as you reach them Cool I get my biggest thrill just after running the 3 K in half an hour and then going out to eat as a team and celbrating. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: