Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Heel Pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Heel Pain Reply with quote

Arg. Today on my 90 minute run, about 7.5 miles in, I was struck with some sort of heel pain.

The pain is located on the bottom of the foot, from the heel a few inches upward toward the toes. It hurts to run, it hurts to walk, stairs especially. It came along fairly suddenly, literally at mile 7 I was running with ease and at mile 7.5 I had to stop and sit down. I tried to stretch out my foot and tried to locate the pain by pushing in various spots but I could not find it. My foot is not sore to the touch at any point on the bottom, only on the side, just behind that little bone that sticks out of the outside of your foot about halfway back.

Does this sound like Plantar Faciitis? I know you guys aren't doctors, but you have surely seen your fair share of foot injuries to maybe make a guess at what it is. I am going to see if I can run tomorrow, maybe it was a freak thing and I will be able to run again. My friend in High School got stress fractures in his feet, I hope to God its not that.

This is the last thing I need.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it putting weight on it that hurts (i.e. impact), or is it pressure at certain angles, such as flexing or rotating? If it is the impact that hurts, it might be a rock bruise type of thing, although that typically happens more with the forefoot. If it is the movement soreness (like the awkward angles of walking down stairs), then it could be a tendon or ligament strain. How is the achilles flexibility in that leg? As I recall, it runs down the ankle and under the foot, so tightness in the calf (fairly common on long runs) could be triggering something around the arch. At any rate, keeping your weight off it and stretching/icing it is probably your best bet.

Dan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions...

It is definitely an impact pain. I get the pain when I put my weight down on my foot. I tend to put my weight on the side of the foot opposite from the arch, the side that is more flat, the outside. It is this weight-bearing area that is painful. It is still painful, and stretching the foot to weird angles and such does not have any painful effects. I even have a hard time finding a sore spot with my hands. The only sore spot I have found is not on the bottom of the heel but on the outside of the foot about 1-2 cm upwards. Its funny that its sore up there maybe thats something seperate.

Right now I am walking around on my toes because that is the only way I can get to classes. Rolling off of my heel is what is really painful, and its not pain in the heel really, its more in the forefoot on the outside like I said. I HOPE TO GOD ITS A BRUISE. If this doesnt get better by the weekend I will go see a foot doctor, but I am hesitant with that because of all the hype about orthotics for one, and all the stories I hear of doctors being insensitive to the needs of athletes.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds an awful lot like a rock bruise, just in an unusual spot. A bad rock bruise often lasts about 2 weeks, although the major discomfort subsides in a couple of days. Lots of icing ought to help.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like plantar fasciitis. I've had it and the pain is definitely in the bottom of the foot for that.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, usually along the inner arch.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost sounds like an overly stretched ligament or tendon just below the ankle bone on the outside of the foot. Does it flare up on tight turns or curve running?
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could say that it flares up on tight curves, except for the fact that I have not been able to run since it happened yesterday. I cannot even walk for more than a few steps, while placing my weight normally, without having to go back to putting my weight on my toes.

I am hoping for some sort of tendon or ligament damage. I don't want to face the implications of a stress fracture. It feels a little better today but still I cannot walk on it. Tomorrow I go to see the doctor, and depending on what he says I will hopefully get it X-Rayed. The only obstacle to that is that I live in an anti-doctor, anti-waste family, and an X-ray for simple pain is something that they may not have have an easy time of paying for for me. Oh well Neutral . I will keep you updated, and thanks for the hypotheses, if you have any other ideas let me know.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some good news, some so-so news.

Pain came Thursday morning. Monday it got a little better, and today (tuesday) it got better again. Thats the good news.

So-so news is I still don't know what it is. Went to the sports trainer, he said I had PF, but I am not so sure. He located the pain on my foot, and it was surprisingly in the middle of the foot!?!? Even though when placing weight on the foot the pain is on the outer edge. Wierd.

In any case I am taking a week or two more off training and doing some work on the bike and swimming in the gym. Also planning on getting a road bike for this summer to cross train on and to have some fun, that way if this foot thing turns out to be a chronic thing I can make cycling my focus. I need exercise, I need intensity, I need competition, but I don't need to be sidelined all the time or limited in my training because of repetitive stress injuries.

Anyway, Dan, I think I read somewhere that you said you recommended running your foot over a can of food or something for PF. Am I remembering correctly, and would you do this while injured or only after recovering as a prevention measure?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what I might have recommended that you're remembering, but there are lots of different foot massagers that would probably help. I have a roller thingie with countoured ridges that does a nice job digging into the curves of the arch.

With tendons going side to side across the arch, it's quite possible an inflamation at the center could be aching more toward the edges. Still, I've heard of so many doctors proscribing nothing but rest for plantar fasciitis, I'm a bit skeptical of the validity of that diagnosis...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the can rolling first thing every morning before taking a step. Also got arch supports. PF was gone in less than a month and never came back.

Actually, it wasn't a can...it was an empty beer bottle. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, you never cease to make me laugh. Thumbs Up

Dan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well empty beer bottle, or full can of slim fast as I am using (i love replacing my 4rth and 5th meals with these things Laughing ), one thing is for sure, this feels great. Its like my own personal foot massage!

I'm going to do it on both feet and hopefully I can oust this PF and keep it out in the future
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any luck, you're well on your way to recovery! Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: