Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Marion Jones ... Not in 2003 ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-ZNEWS,00.html

That would put her at about 5.5 months if I'm not mistaken, placing it just before the Francis controvery began (and well before it came to a head). Neutral

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am really trying to stay away from this one as a means of PR management .. I would hope that no one would do that to a child ..

But I also look at it as really poor judgement if it was an "accident" ... And also poor judgement if it were planned as it takes her out an a very important time in her career ... I'm just baffled to be honest ...

And speaking of PR ... Whatever the reason for the pregnancy, an unwed mother situation is not the best for marketing purposes ... And Tim already has another child to a mother he hasn't wed so not looking to good on him right now either ... If your conspiracy theory is correct, all it served to do is put them in another bad/poor situation ...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Conway in expressing concern for the child. Hopefully the maternal and paternal instincts will kick in and it will be loved and nurtured as it should be. Of course those two should be able to afford a good nanny. Not to take the place of parents but to allow them time to train.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the competition schedule will be a much larger issue than the training schedule if both continue their t&f careers. Imagine both parents being on the road all summer, every summer, and frequently gone throughout the spring...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interesting .... I agree that the competitive season will be the hardest ... But in the early stages of childhood the child needs the parents there as much as possible ... And the length of time a world class competitor needs to train takes a major chunk out of a day ..

As I've thought about this it will be interesting to see how Jones and Montgomery parent ... Montgomery aready has a daughter from another relationship ... And from what I understand is not there much for her ... I have also heard states regarding Marion and her "estranged" relationship with her mother ... So not the greatest of starts for the child unfortunately .... Which makes me wonder even more about the pregnancy ...

I know JUstin you are sitting there reading these posts and cringing ... Not trying to turn this into a soap opera ... Really trying to look at tit from the standpoint of A) the child, and B) the sport ... These are two of teh highest profile individuals in the sport ... And they've already spent a great deal of time in the spotlight this year ... All negative ... And at some point this is going to get examined ... First off becasue Marion will be missing this year ... But we have here to high profile people ... Consumating a child out of wed lock ... Marion having been the US face of the 2000 Olympics ... There is no marriage and no engagement ... Tim has another child floating around ... And they are coming off the CF debacle ...

Oh .. And back to the 100 meters ... Tim si going to open at Mexico City on May 5th ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tim si going to open at Mexico City on May 5th ...

What meet is that?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.grandprixmexico.com

Supposed to run a relay leg at Penn ... And then follow Mexico with Osaka ... Lot of travelling early ... Those are within a 3 week period I believe ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I didn't even know about that meet/site...

Have you heard anything about his training over the past 4 months?

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I also look at it as really poor judgement if it was an "accident" ... And also poor judgement if it were planned as it takes her out an a very important time in her career ... I'm just baffled to be honest ...

I quite agree with Conway on this. Considering the doubling up of monetary incentives and back to back Championship seasons, WC's - Olympics, and considering they are at their peak age-wise, this doesn't make much sense. I am also quite puzzled.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet ... But he was a no show last week for the 4x1 at TExas ... I don't think he is ready personally ... If he were he would have been at Texas talkin trash ... I don't see him being any more ready than Marion .. We will see ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a lighter note, this situation adds new meaning to Diack's heavily objected to statement a few months back, with regards to the Francis situation, that he would talk to Marion like a father. Wink

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a USATF press release on the Jones/Montgomery announcement:

Quote:
The couple will not release any more information until the child is
born. They kindly ask that the media respect their privacy at this
joyous time.

You already know what I think... Quite the pre-emptive strike to a repeat of the winter turmoil. Rolling Eyes Sort of like patriotic arguments against speaking out about the war. Just some things most people in the public eye aren't willing to touch...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again not sure what to think ... I'm trying to be open minded here ... Just been a bad PR year for the two of them ... And not a good year to have one ...

They do have a right to privacy ... And they should be allowed that .. Of course the birth of the baby will occur during the beginning of the heart of the season ... Personally I'd rather address issues now as opposed to then ... But it is not my decision ...

Just not the way you would want a season to go for two of your higher profile athletes ..
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"an unwed mother situation is not the best for marketing purposes ... And Tim already has another child to a mother he hasn't wed so not looking to good on him right now either"

WHAT? Which century are we living in? I am amazed at you for such a remark Conway. How, pray, does it 'not look good' for Tim to have another child by a different woman? Good grief. Is there really anyone left who still cares about parental marital status? Only in America perhaps.

Tell you what - let's just stick to discussing sprinting shall we?

Justin
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
I don't see him being any more ready than Marion .. We will see ..

Who is actually having this baby, Tim or Marion???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: