Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
I'm Gonna Do It!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: I'm Gonna Do It!!! Reply with quote

I have decided to begin training for a marathon that will be run October 26 of this year. Surprised

With my recent injury history some of you will be sceptical of this plan. But before you start hurling brickbats and sh*t blivets in my direction hear me out. Wink

The foot is feeling good. And the weight continues to drop. Those are good signs. Very Happy

I have also decided to use Galloway's training schedule for finishing with no time goal. Again, some of you are not fond of Galloway but hear me out.

The program is 30 weeks long and puts the emphasis on slowly building the weekly long run with the rest of the week being a recovery to get you ready for the next long run. Walking breaks are encouraged and quite honestly I do not consider it a sin against the running gods to incorporate preplanned walks to avoid injury and speed recovery. After all, I just want to finish...not qualify for Boston.

So...I get started tommorow and am planning on a run/walk ratio of 27 minutes running and 3 minutes walking for all long runs.

I now invite all questions, comments, suggestions, brickbats and sh*t blivets. Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just had to one-up Paul, didn't you? Wink

If nothing else, the longer distance training should keep you well motivated to continue dropping weight.

I've actually been working a bunch the past few days on various Galloway clinic info for the local running store/site...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a one-up on Paul could be dangerous. He might just do Western States before I do. Surprised

Or maybe we do it together...............
jcp262
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Good for you! Reply with quote

During my first marathon- my friend and I used Galloway's advice of run a mile / walk a minute and it worked- several marathons later that marathon time remains my best yet- hopefully nashville will set a new PR. Use galloway- whatever works for you... good luck!
Jenny
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenny! Don't for get to let us know how Nashville turns out. And save that fine Tennessee sipping whiskey for after the race. Wink
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I applaud your marathon decision. I also echo Jenny's statements about Galloway's original running scheme, something you should definitely consider as you get stronger. Also consider taking a full spectrum mineral supplement, not just calcium and magnesium.

And... we will be doing the Western States together. You'll do the racing and Conway and I will be part of your support team!!

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a team Exclamation

I'm taking a standard multi-vitamin everyday with the calcium supp, is there a specific mineral supplement you would recommend?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Bone Essentials and Bone Building Formula from Swansons right now. I have also ordered Bone Supply from YoungAgain.com. It also has Boron. I'll let you know how I like that. I take a lot of MSM and Zinc. Also consider getting a good Alpha Lipoic Acid product and Grapeseed Extract product to cover your antioxidant bases. Considered, now, to be important for heavy and/or long training sessions.

One of the problems with the low carb/high protein diets is the tremendous amounts of phosphorous that can be consumed, potentially causing calcium to be leached out of the bones.

Be consistent with exercises for your lower legs: heel raises and the toe circles with the bicycle tube that Dan has mentioned a few places. I like that one myself, and it has helped my PF problems, also.

By the way, did you see the rest of the Shamrock thread??

Paul
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, time to warmup for my Lake Oswego workout. Sunday's workout: 8x200 last 2 in 36.6 and 35.4 . Interval recovery discussion theme tonight: Chick Flicks . Feel free to chime in. We should get Jenny's input here, too. But Dan may scold me for not posting this under Open Mic Night. Then again, I am known for hiding all kinds of stuff in other people's threads. Surprised

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interval recovery discussion theme tonight: Chick Flicks .

You actually have themed recovery discussion topics???

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it is a true chick flick but my all time favorite comedy is:

"Four Weddings and A Funeral" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamrock thread?

You refering to the final stats and your overall pace?

I am impressed and I raise my glass of fine Tennessee sipping whiskey in your honor Exclamation
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Micah...thank you. Ran out of Oatmeal Stout, having a Nut Brown, mysel, as I post.

Dan, I guess that would be known as running at a conversational level. However, one of the ladies has a post graduate degree in biochem and is now a lawyer, the other one is a flight instructor out at Troudtdale Airport. Talking shop would be out of the question. Surprised Surprised

Micah, the flight instructor is the woman who went to school in GA that I mentioned a few months back, but I never mentioned which school. It was Berry College. Their cross country team was quite good at the NAIA level.

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent school!!

They host a huge high school cross country meet every year. In fact I ran in it in 1973. Surprised

BTW, Berry College was listed in a recent publication as one of the most underappreciated schools in the nation.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should claim Halley Berry as kin. They wouldn't be underappreciated anymore. Surprised

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: