Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
HELP PLEASE!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2000 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the problem. 2 weeks ago i was running the best i ever have in my entire life, things were going great. my workouts were incredible and i seemed to have good day after good day. a runners dream. i was in shape enough to run around a 16:30 5k. now i have just been running like crap. my legs are tired, i'm getting cramps and i'm just pretty much sick of running, not that i'm not doing good. today i ran a 5k, talk about embarresment. i ran a very slow time (19:13). i have no clue how this happened. i did everything right. as of now i have no confidence. i don't like to days off, because the next couple days for me is hell. so if anyone could give me advice on how to get out of this running help, i would be most appreciative. thanks in advance!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2000 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you overdid it and your body is begging for a break. Even during the best of training periods, it is normal to hit a down cycle every three weeks or so. Having the mental toughness to not want to take a break is great, up until the point that it becomes detrimental to your overall training...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what are you saying that i should take a break off right in the middle of xc season? i'm sure that will go over well with my coach. i mean our team has a chance to win states this year. i myself am sposed to be in the top 5. i can't just take a break. plus as i said earlier i suffer most when i take breaks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a break from running, just a break from hard training. It's called periodization, the best runners do it. If you try to run hard all the time or easy all the time, the same thing will happen -- you'll run medium all the time.

It takes a lot of discipline to know when to hold back, especially if you are used to pushing it to the max. What's more important, one week or a whole season? You may suffer from taking time off, but you obviously are suffering right now following a hard period of training...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous,

Dan's giving it to you head on. Listen to your body. No Coach, with his salt, will tell you differently.

Apparently, you haven't reached a runner's maturity where you can distinguish between discomfort and pain. That 19minute 5k is a warning!

Good Luck

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Bob Bunch']

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2000 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have a meet tomorrow. something happened over the past few days, that have made me feel fast again. i'm running with some confidence now. i know that if i get a good time tomorrow, then problem solved if not then it's going to lead to what you said. thanks a bunch, peace!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2000 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck. Hopefully, it was just a temporary lull in your training that you can move past quickly. However, don't assume the problem is solved that easily. You will probably end up in the same spot sometime in the future if you don't mix up your training a bit.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did pretty good today, considering how i ran last wednesday. i ran 17:20, with a cramp during the last 2 miles. i was a little sore from the day before though. any thoughts on how i can get cramps from not poping up during the race? thanks, i'll definitely take your advice on training.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better! Common ways to avoid cramping are: hydrate well, consume extra potassium and magnesium, warm up and cool down properly, breath as deep as you can, and stretch lots.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, i'll definitely work on breathing better in practice, i'll take those things into consideration, thanks a bunch, peace!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, as always. Smile

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2000 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I have a six year old nephew who wants to
run , though I dont know where to start to sign him up. He lives in the valley (Van Nuys) CA, Looking for a club that could accomodate some sort of sprint and triple jump training.

Would be extremely appreciative of any response,

Sincerely , Daniel

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Daniel Torres']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2000 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact area, but here's a rather extensive list of California clubs. That should get you started!

Cheers,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: