Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
saving 200 m indoors and making athletics fun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: saving 200 m indoors and making athletics fun Reply with quote

1___Final: 3 men -- semifinal winners + best time runner-up of both semi-finals
1___Small Final: 3 men -- semifinal runners-up
2___Semi-final 2 x 3 men
3___Quater-final 6 x 3
Only 18 people go the World Indoor Championships in the first place:
Guaranteed spots: the current World Indoor Champion_1, the Olympic champion_2, and 16 runners with the best times in the world within the last 12 months who want to run.
ETC...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see is this: The 200m Indoors is inherently flawed by the nature of lane advantages in the short sprints on tight turns. Your proposal to get around that factor is to limit field sizes, thus avoiding the most detrimental lanes. However, with fields of 3 people or less, unless you have at least 2 major stars represented in each race, there won't be much spectator interest. Might as well run time trials or match races between two nobodies in that case...

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but when you have 6 heats with 6 people in each you still end-up with only nobodies in some of them. To improve my proposal, based on your comment, the runners should be matched-up carefuly and seeded:
heat 1: 1-12-18
heat 2: 2-11-17
heat 3: 3-10-16
heat 4: 4-9-15
heat 5: 5-8-14
heat 6: 6-7-13
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, but when you have 6 heats with 6 people in each you still end-up with only nobodies in some of them.

Yes, but the attention is spread across twice as many people, so the same magnitude of star power is not necessary to carry the event. 6 average people can be pretty competitive and entertaining. 2 average people is likely to be a snoozer...

Quote:
the runners should be matched-up carefuly and seeded

How do you ensure time-based seeding will produce entertaining matchups? I don't think it can be done overly well. Remember, one obvious goal here is to make for a fairer race, but every bit as important is to not make it unenjoyable for the spectators. Without them, there's no point running it.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

___I understand your arguments, but first, I have to say that my main goal was to find a system that would s a v e 200 m indoors.
___I understand that when you say "two average people," you mean two "also runners." I agree. However, the six top seeded runners supposed to attract the crowd in the first place, and since only one out of three would advance, there is more place for a great upset.
___When it comes to seeding, it does not have to be purely time based. The top three should be based on achievement and consistency in performance. Number one should be the highest placing in the last Olympics/World Championships participating sprinter who is not the current World Indoor Champion. Number two should be the current World Indoor Champion, or in his absence the first runner-up etc. Number three should be the person with the lowest average of the four lowest SB over the last three previous year (6 SB indoor and outdoor total: 2 out of 3 indoor + 2 out of 3 outdoor). Number four, and following, should be people with the lowest SB indoors within the last 6 months. The number 18 should be, if not qualified otherwise, reserved for the person from the host country.

Anyway, I guess, I am on Junior Varisty now (after two years in these fora).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to see seeding based on reputation. That would be even worse then the NBA's system of protecting superstars from fouls...

By the way, congrats on reaching 100. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: