Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Energy Systems

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed out of this thread before because technically I don't feel qualified regarding some of the various nuances ... However I am baffled by the latest post ...

Even Pace and Maximum Speed are diametrically opposed to each other ... Even Pace indicating that one is trying to measure out their energy while Maximum Speed indicates full bore running ... So I am not sure what you are getting at (or USATF for that matter) ...

I will say that I agree with several of the posters in that trying to mix and match parts of training systems is like having too many cooks in the kitchen ... You end up with a hodge podge instead of the gourmet item you are searching for ... You have to find a system that fits YOU and then work it !!! You can tweek a system to fit you better, but combining many systems together is asking for trouble in my humble opinion ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that I tend to agree. On both the USATF and the systems. First of all if you are going to break pace down into increments as small as a second or two even pace can not be achieved. Since while running the body goes through a stages of acceleration when one of the feet are pushing off and deceleration when the body is in the air running a steady pace for any length of time is impossible. Cunfused yet? It's sort of like that thing where if you walk half way across a room and then half way again, and keep going half way from where you are to the other side of the room you'll never cross the room. It's sort of run to think about but has no real practicle use.

As for the systems (I'm assuming that you mean training phillosphies not physiological systems of the body) there are a tons of them out there and many of them have good parts. The trap some people will fall into is that many systems are based around different ideas. Two I am familiar with are Lydiard and Coe systems for distance runners. Lydiard bases his training around long steady state runs with plenty of hills with usually one run a day. Coe does several different types of intervals from the begining and will use as many as three workouts per day. It is possible to learn something from both, however I wouldn't try to a system that uses very much of the stuff from both at the same time.
will
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value of the alactic training is to help develop surging capacity. Coe adds it in his 4th phase of training. Ideally, you can train this ability to help sprint for position in early or mid-race pack changes.

OF course, if one's not ready with proper anaerobic and aerobic work, then, trying to sprint in a race will simply blow up in the athlete's face. Hence, the huge proportion of aerobic volume to anaerobic for Coe.

I lost the USATF part too. Perhaps he's saying that he got that tidbit of info from a USATF "confidential tape", as in a VHS training video? The idea being that it's not kosher to talk about there really being no max velocity within the USATF, but to slip it in on the side might be alright. MY guess.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting myself from the Open Mic area.
Quote:
400 m is a sprint, and properly or M.J. - magic way run, you do not have to stop sprinting. However, it takes a great skill. You should go out all out or sprinting for the first 100 m. Within the second 100 m you should be near-sprinting, relaxing, trying at the very same time let the momentum build over the initial 100 m to carry you without slowing down too much. You should try to hammer the remaining 200 m. Because you saved some "legs" within the initial 200 m, you should be able to finish almost without the rigor mortis.
The above presented best--known way to run 400 m may help to explain a dichotomy:
1. very top speed due to "Tetna's effect": 10 m
2. very top speed due to alactic pathway: 3-7 seconds 30-70 meters
3. lactic pathway--anaerobic 300 m
4. (Look 3) 1000 m 50/50 split anaerobic and aerobic?
Dichotomy -- only seemingly. The 800/1000 m runners never max-out like the 400 m sprinters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: