Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Milage for high school girl

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2000 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 15 year old high school junior, and I've been running since my freshmen year. Last spring, after an ok cross country season, I improved my PRs in the 1600 and 3200 to 5:08 and 11:07. During cross country we ran around 25-30 miles a week and during track did not run over 20.
This summer, I thought that by increasing my mileage, my times would drop. I went up to 55 miles a week, and sure enough, in August on a timed two on the track with our boys team, I ran 10:57 without any speedwork. I was really excited about an awesome XC season, but then I broke my leg. I didn't run for a month and then started cross training to get back in shape. Right now, I've decided to start running again to prepare for indoor track. How much should I start with and work up to? The mileage seemed to help me alot, but what is the upper limit? It 65-70 too much? I would like to run a 3200 under 10:40 this spring. Do you think this is possible?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2000 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the injury. Sad Howevever, I will assure you that the same thing will happen 95% of the time when someone tries increasing mileage that rapidly...

There really is no upper limit to acceptable or preferable mileage; everyone is different. When you come back, I can't stress enough to not think about mileage at all. That's the biggest mistake you can make. Your focus should be entirely on getting and staying healthy and gradually building your strength up again. The minute your focus shifts to mileage, you run the risk of reinjury.

The kind of mileage increase you attempted is the type of thing that should be developed over a period of 2-3 years, not one season. I don't make predictions as to what people can run without having watched them perform, so I can't really offer much input on what you will be able to do this spring. If you have run 10:57, there is no reason you cannot be at that level (or better) again.

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: