FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Speed Reserve

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Speed Reserve Reply with quote

I didn't really understand what Dan was talking about when he was discussing speed reserve. So I looked it up (Tudor Bomba's book on periodization) and what I found is that it is almost identical to Frank Horwill's idea of the "4 second endurance" This may be another example of misscomunications over terminology on this forum.

Anyway what helped me was the mathematical explanation or SPEED RESERVE INDEX. I will use Dan's and My own PRs in the 400 and 800 to explain. (Dan 400=57, 800=2.09; Hammer 400=57, 800=2.07) The difference between our 400m pace and our per 400m pace in the 800 is our speed reserve. (Dan 400=57; 800=64.5/400; Hammer 400=57; 800=62.5/400) Dan's index =7.5sec; Hammer's = 5.5sec)

Horwill stated that the 800m runner should be attempting to achieve the 4 second endurance. That is that a runners best 800m pace should be 4seconds slower per lap than his or her 400m best. In both Dan and Hammer's case that would mean running (2.02 for the 800m) Horwill argued this because it is what Sebastian Coe was able to acomplish. But since Coe was running the event +25 seconds faster than Dan and Hammer the times may need to be adjusted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: