FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Bobby Curtis (HS Footlocker) interview

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Bobby Curtis (HS Footlocker) interview Reply with quote

http://runflorida.com/highschool/2003track/USATFJuniorXC/BobbyCurtisInterview.htm

Good interview, if you're interested in HS Cross Country. It will be interesting to see how he does at Junior USATF, given his recent training. I'd be a little concerned that his rather rapid jump in mileage will leave him too fatigued in the short-term -- something he hinted has already happened a bit the past few weeks.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 10 x 1000 in 3:12 was pretty eye popping.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a heck of a workout. Although, it is roughly 14-15 seconds per 400m slower than his mile pace, so it's probably a pretty relaxed clip for him. Makes sense for 8k training. I would guess he'd run closer to 3:00 and only do 6-8 when he's doing more mile/2-mile training in the spring.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo Barrios had a favorite workout where he would run 10 x 1000 in low 2:40's with a lap jog between. Curtis' recovery interval is only 1:10 to 1:15 max. I think this demonstrates the kind of range Curtis is developing. He may be capable of close to a 31 min 10K which is impressive for a 800 - 1500 runner.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k range is a good sign for someone focused primarily on the mid-distances, but I think 31:00 is a ways below his ability level. If he were to run the 10k seriously in the next 2-3 years, anything much slower than 29:00 would probably be a disappointment. Of course, I'm thinking track times. Are you talking XC?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: