Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Base for a 800 guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
This site rocks

I got a question Dan about base for a 400-800 guy in college. How many miles for each week should he do.....for how many weeks?? Remember this is 400-800. Not competing any longer than a 800.

During the base period...could the runner do some light workouts on the track (400 or 800 repeats, hills) during the base mileage stage and the base is still all complete w/ all the mileage requirements???
Thanks alot!!!!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile

Now this is the sort of question I like -- those are my two favorite events. By base, I assume you are talking about this time of year running through say, February?

I would shoot for 40 miles a week, with 30 probably being acceptable for weeks with higher intensity. Really, I don't think you need much more "base" than an hour run once a week, as long as you work pretty hard for that long run. The rest of the week can consist of alternating 30 minute runs and hard workouts.

By all means, incorporate quality work into your base period. I see no reason to sacrifice that stuff, just ease off the intensity enough that you don't risk early peaking or overuse injuries. Hills would be a great component of base training, as would longer intervals and 100m strides after every workout.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. I thought base was a period of weeks, not just a day, because you said "Really, I don't think you need much more "base" than an hour run once a week. I don't understand!
Ok indoors starts in early December, today is 10/7, what type of stuff should i be doing until then?? would race pace 400's be ok to start during base??
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, I HATE long slow boring runs. I prefer the faster, show-off type runs.. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I can see how that could be confusing. Base refers to the general process of building up a level of conditioning, generally through increased mileage. My feeling is that a long sprint/short mid-distane runner does not need much more than one long run a week to accomplish this. It is still base, but it is not strictly mileage oriented like a 10k runner might aim for.

Trying to build a base with indoors only two months away is tough. I think you will need to examine your indoor/outdoor priorities and possibly train through the indoor meets, sacrificing performance there for a better outdoor season. You need to give it about two months for a good base building period, but that wouldn't leave enough time to transition into faster stuff for optimal indoor work.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok great..but if you say all I need is 1 long run a week, what do i do on the other days if you said i need only 1 "base" day a week? speedwork..right?? Then if i just stick to doing this, where/how would the transisiton be???
thanks,
confused

[Anonymously Posted by: 'corymike']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one true base day, but 2-3 other moderate mileage days in the 30-40 minute range. I wouldn't go so far as to call the other 2 days speed work. Pace work would be more accurate for the time of year. You want to develop some cardiovascular strength, but not at the expense of the turnover. The transition would be in lowering the overall mileage and moving toward shorter/faster intervals. It's a gradual process, the main thing is to get your "base" at a consistent level for a month or two to get the necessary development.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,,,i guess this is the question. You know the workouts you said one should do for the 800 in the training section?? could I do those work outs the same time a do my base period +mileage?? or should that be in a different section of training?
thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do those workouts, but I would recommend toning down the intensity a bit and adding a bit of quantity to them. Otherwise, they will probably lead to peaking too early. Alternatively, doing the 1500m workouts would provide a good balance between the base building and the quality work, leaving plenty of room to cut down quantity and increase speed later.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: