Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Team Guru Indoor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough blow. Sad Do you get a scholarship repreive if someone is called up for duty, or are you out of luck? (Or is he even on scholarship?)

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This athlete wasn't on scholarship, but I think it's more that the athlete simply gets any semesters of eligability back that he only partially used do to being called up mid semester..
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we've got a pretty small meet coming up this weekend. I've got my two top guys running the 4x800 just for fun. With another of my guys dropping down to the mile. So that gives me two guys in the mile, one girl in the mile, three girls and one guy in the 3k.

My top girl will be going for the school record in the 3k this weekend. Hopefully there will be a couple of girls in the race good enough to push her for most of it. She should get plenty of support. This is a 160m track in about as small a space as you can fit an indoor track into. So it's really noisy and if your not runing you can't help but be on the edge of the track so you might as well cheer.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I must have missed these posts for some reason. Sad
Quote:
800m @1500-3k (90sec rec)
2mile @5k+10sec/mile (90 sec)
800 @ 1500-3k

No wonder this workout put such a wammy on me. I assumed it was to be run with no rest between sections. Maybe you should rename that the "Marquis de Sade II". The pace for the 800's were at my best mile effort and the pace for the 2 mile section was about what is called for. I thought the idea of the 2 mile right after the 800 with no rest was to push the recovery float concept.

coachd, wheel + cones = pain is my favorite quote for 2002!! Thumbs Up

DG, tough break on the athlete's front. Good luck tomorrow, though I imagine the attitude of some will be quite subdued.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No wonder this workout put such a wammy on me. I assumed it was to be run with no rest between sections.

Reminds me of the first time I did the infamouse circuit drills workout from memory. For those who I haven't described it to, it's nearly 1.5 hours of various drills mixed with intervals, and it can be pretty tough to keep that many drills straight. Most of them are done for 50m, but some are a certain number of reps (such as 4 sets of 20 lunges). I was doing the workout with someone who had never done it before, and we got just about to the end and had fast feet up next. I botched that one a bit, thinking it was one of the 50m ones... Let me tell you, 2x50m of fast feet is one of the most intense workouts you can imagine!! Surprised We were seeing stars after the first one. I knew that couldn't be right, so I double checked it when I got home and saw that it was supposed to be 2x3x40 steps... Oops. I started carrying a mini version of the workout with me after that...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Guru update. Well all in all we had a descent day today. My top girl didn't the school record but she ran a PR. As a matter of fact every runner I coach ran either a seasonal best or a PR. I only had one guy in the 3k and he really surprised me. He was my 5th best guy at that distance when the season started he was a 10:20 in high school 3200 runner so nothing special. But this season he's gone 9:57, 9:45, and today he went 9:38, that's a 19 second improvement in his last two meets Surprised . I told him if he keeps it up he'll be the best runner on the team before the middle of outdoor.

In other event areas we had a triple jumper go 49'11" 3/4 or 1/2 (I can't remember which). We also had a high jumper clear 6'10" and just barely miss his first attempt at 7'. Our throwers as always did well with at least one really good mark in the wieght throw. I didn't get to talk much with the head coach (our throws coach) so I don't know all the juicy details but I'll have a link up to the results tommorow.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going, DG. Sounds like good balance between the track and the field events. Things could be shaping up for a fine dual meet season in the spring.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's a link to the full meet results. A pretty nice day for the team as a whole. This track is built with long straitaways and tight turns so we rested pretty much all our 200/400 runners since in those events this track is very tough to turn in good times.

Also right now our track team's are sitting very well in the national standings. Here is the latest DII indoor track polls. Some of the top schools have yet to send in there results so that has to be taken into account. However appearently we didn't get all of our most rescent results sent into the polsters on time so using the formula they use our men would actually be at the top of the rankings and our women would be sitting number two. Not bad for an under funded, country school Smile
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good DG Surprised

Would you coach my fantasy league team?
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG- who is CU in the results???? and Didn't Walquinst run for Sandia, HS last year. 4.24 indoors is pretty fast for him. I think that's as fast as he ran @ state as a HS senior.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CU is Concordia University. And yeah that's Walquinst from Sandia. I guess his sister was going there and that's where he wanted to go as well. That CU distance group is pretty good, there coach was a heck of a runner in his day, ran in the Olympic trials in one of the distance events although I'm not sure which one.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG's squad had an excellent weekend. He had 10 runners competing and 9 of them ran Season Bests; 6 ran Personal Bests and 2 ran provisional qualifying marks (Men 5k in 14.49 and Woman 5k in 17.39) The lone girl on his squad that didn't run a season best missed by less than a second.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: