Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Weight Trianing

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started serious weights just recently as i took up athletics at the start of the Outdoor season and therefore wasn't practical.I have started three weight sessions a week.I have been told to have a focus for each session. One general body,two maximum lifts and three 50% less faster lifts for explosiveness.The gym where i workout is fully equiped and i like to keep the program simple.Could anyone offer advice.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'PM']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM,

I've personally never been a believer in focusing weight workouts on certain areas of the body. I've had very good success with going through a fairly set group of exercises every other day. The main variable for me is how many sets of each exercise and what weight to max out at. Most muscles are perfectly capable of nearly all-out efforts after a 48 hour recovery.

Once you are accustomed to the strength work, you won't need to reduce it much in season, except for when it is time to taper and peak. Even then, you might want to just reduce the volume and intensity.

Were you looking for specific exercise recommendations?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..
Is it necessary to do strength workouts?
What are the purposes and what good does it do?
And how do we go about doing these workouts?

I'm curious, sorry

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ed']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly believe so. To go a bit off topic... I don't follow swimming all that closely, but it's my understanding that much of the progress of the last 10 years can be attributed to drastic changes in the way swimmers train. They have veered toward a lot more dry land training (i.e. out of the pool) and rigorous weight lifting programs.

This strikes me as very odd that it took so long for people to figure this out. After all, people complained to no end about the East Germans in the 70's and 80's, and how big and muscular they were. The swimmers of today look so much more powerfully built than those of 10-15 years ago, and the times certainly reflect the changes. The higher-body-fat-helps-you-float theory seems to have sunk. Wink

So, what's this have to do with running? No direct relevancy, but one must keep in mind that training techniques are constantly evolving, and in most cases result in better performances. Strength training in running has the effects of:

- improving strength (duh) which can make you both faster and build more endurance

- more resilient and quicker recovering

- technique work to build proper form

How you go about your strength work is entirely up to you. Best to develop a routine you like and stick with it for the long haul. I have outlined one such routine in the new Running FAQ.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks a lot for your helpful reply.
however, what basic strength work do you recommend for beginners like me( I like about 18-20 miles a week) to improve on my strength?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'ED']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of that stuff will work for beginners or advanced runners/lifters. The only real difference is how many reps or how much weight. If the concern is the availability of equipment, do more "body weight" exercises like push ups, sit ups, lunges, etc.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, my coach recently told us we need to lift weights. He said to do 100 repetitions for each exercise. He wants us to to bench press, curls, and tricep extensions. One question: How many repetitions would be optimal for each set? 4 sets of 25, 5 sets of 20, 3 sets of about 33? Also, should every set make the muscle burn? Or should it take the couple last sets to make it burn? Because after the team streches we do pushups and situps, and we do 4 sets of 10 pushups and 20 situps. We do a set of pushups then situps and swtich off. But the pushups dont get hard until the last 1-2 sets, so are those pushups a waste?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's all the direction he gave? 100 reps is good for something like arm swings or sit ups, but it's overkill for bench (a useless exercise anyway) or triceps. If you can do more than 10-15 reps per set of most exercises, then the weight is probably too low. Given that, 10 sets of an exercise is a lot!

I would aim for sets of 50 push ups and 100 sit ups, and get a good burn going on each set.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. But isnt lifting with light weight and alot of reps good for endurance? My upper body is already developed, it is strong but doesnt have much endurance, but it doesnt get tired at the end of the race. I am not one of those puny XC runners LOL.

And BTW, we had a race today on our home course. My coach told me to start out slow, and I did. This course is so hilly you wouldnt believe it. There are a total of 6 hills, each at least 100m long. For the first half of the race, I felt sooo good. I kept slowy accelerating, and eventually went fast. Then after the last hill, I started my kick 250m away from the finish, and ALMOST caught the guy on the team we were racing. I was hauling butt! I think I saved too much energy, but I still had my best 5K race, and best time even though this course has hills and more hills. I lost to this guy by 1 second. But I seemed to die on the last hills, but after I got done with the hills I still had a huge kick left.

How can I get fast on hills! Would doing some strides after practice develop speed? I almost never do strides, so I think I dont have my speed developed.

I almost always go out to fast off the line, even running fast for the 1st 50 or 100 meters seems to kill me for the rest of the race. Going out slow is the key!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High reps is indeed better for endurance, but 100 is extreme for most exercises. High reps rarely refers to more than 20. It doesn't sound like muscle endurance is really your problem, more a matter of developing the late race strength.

Definitely do strides after practice -- those should be done daily. The best way to get better on hills is to run hills, hard.

That sounds like a great racing experience you had! It sure feels better to finish a race strong, doesn't it? Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: