Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Any Suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sue
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
First of all I want to say that this is a GREAT web site! I read it every day, and learn A LOT! I've been jogging for 1 1/2 years now and have lost 35 lbs! I feel great! I jog a minimum of one hour a day , six days a week - sometimes more. The most I've ran at one time is 90 minutes! I love it! However, the past month I've noticed that I've slipped into a passive jog - going the same pace every day, hardly even breathing hard! Any suggestions on how to challenge myself? Thanks Sue
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the compliments, and welcome aboard! Smile Speaking of learning, you'll be happy to know I'm working on something new for the site that will be released soon -- the Running FAQ. It will be a searchable database of common running questions & answers that anyone can submit to. Just a few finishing touches to put on it.

Back to your question... That's a tremendous amount of progress you have made, and quite a committment you have made to yourself and to running! Great work. As I started reading your message, my first thought was, "wow, how long till falls into a rut with that routine?" Sure enough...

The best way to challenge yourself is to throw in something new. You obviously are well versed at the one hour steady run. If you have some hilly trails nearby, do a 20-30 minute run while running the hills aggressively. You can try intervals on the road or a track, alternating fast and slow sections (you choose the distance for each), 10 minute tempo runs, or any variety of things that forces you to leave the comfort zone and pick up the pace.

Many people believe that the body adapts to any workout regimen after a mere three weeks and requires change. This is a bit extreme for recreational running, but the principle still applies. Variation is the key to steady improvement.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sue
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan! Tonight when I ran my hour, I changed things a bit! I alternated 10 min of running at my regular pace with 10 min at a faster rate! It felt great! A question - in terms of losing weight, is it better to go a longer length of time slower, or....a shorter length of time faster!!! I've mainly been running to lose weight - I only have 2 lbs to go to goal - and (as I mentioned before)always run at least an hour if not more 6 days a week. I run slow, very aware that I have a somewhat long distance to cover. However, lately I have wanted to go faster! Do you get the same 'loss of weight' effect by running a shorter distance faster? For instance, if I knew that I was just going out to run a 5K, I would definitely run a lot faster for it would take me way less than an hour! What do you think? Or maybe I could alternate a shorter faster run, with a longer slower one. I'm also looking for a 'hilly' course around my neighborhood! Thanks for your great advice. Sue P.S. I'm looking forward to your running FAQ'S!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2000 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

That sounds like a good way to mix things up.

Someone else just asked the same question yesterday...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: