FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
New 50K Record

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: New 50K Record Reply with quote

On Nov 2 Alex Tilson set a new US 50k road record in 2:51:48 at Stanford Univ.

For 20 years the US road record stood at 3 hours flat even though several runners had run faster. However they ran on courses that for one reason or another were not technically certified. So Tilson set up the course and the race with the express intent of breakig that 3 hour mark on a certified course. The race didn't even offer prizes or t-shirts. Tilson is a 2:24 marathoner and ran almost even 5:31 splits in this race with just a slight slowing in the last five miles.

This was only Tilson's second ultra so it will be interesting to see if he goes on to develop an "ultra career" or if this will be his only shot.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting how he ran the race. Even though he ran a time that looks more like a time from a regular marathon, a race where athlete usually attempt to run negative splits in order to achieve a fast time. He used the traditional ultra stadegy of controlled slow down. Don't get me wrong, he set the American record and obviously achieved his goal so I'm not questioning his methods. They obviously work. I just wonder if athletes that run 50k's, particularly those who were good marathoners recently, ever use the negative split technique.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the limited amount I know on ultras there are not many run with negative splits. I think your term of controlled slowdown pretty much hits it on the head. Mad Dog Mike has done some ultras I believe. Maybe he can enlighten us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: