Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
What is the fastest a human being can run?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to the sources of the others as well ... Possibly the IAAF photos ??? (from the timing device) ... I ask becasue Carl rates #2 and I would have thought he or SMTC or someone would have used that stat a long time ago ... Also interesting that Montgomery does not show for Edmonton among the top 5 and that neither Mo's 9.79 nor Montgomery's 9.78 show among the top 5, although I am not surprised that Mo's 9.80 had the fastest top end speed ... Has anyone sent this data to TFN since Montgomery is claiming best top end speed ???
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: What is the fastest speed that a human has reached? Reply with quote

:supergrin: I forgot to state that it was only the best single performance by each athlete ONLY.But,after viewing your replys,I have had a thorough look through my sources and I have found more useful stats than that of which I posted on 1st December 2002.In no particular order:
Maurice Greene(USA)12.44mps/27.86mph.Reached during the 50m-70m stage of the Seville 1999 WCh Final,when he had to not only catch,but beat Bruny Surin of Canada.Maurice's 50m Splits were,5.55s/4.25s=9.80s(CR)
Maurice Greene(USA)12.34mps/27.64mph.Reached during the 60m-83m stage of the Sydney 2000 OG Final,this speed achieved against a -0.3m/s headwind!!Maurice's 50m Splits were,5.61s/4.26s=9.87s.
Tim Montgomery(USA)12.27mps/27.48mph.Reached during the 55m-74m stage of the Oslo Golden Leauge Meeting in 2001.Tim's 50m Splits were,according to my research and resources,5.59s/4.25s=9.84s(MR)
Tim Montgomery(USA)12.39mps/27.75mph.Reached during the 60m-78m stage of the Edmonton 2001 WCh Final,into a -0.2m/s headwind same as MO Greene,ATO,Dwain,Bernard,Kim,Christian and Zakari had to run into.
Tim's 50m Splits were,5.59s/4.26s=9.85s.
Tim Montgomery(USA)12.46mps/27.91mph.Reached during the 45m-76m stage of the 2002 Paris Grand Prix Final.Tim's 50m Splits were,5.53s/4.25s=9.78s(WR),+2.0m/s.
Maurice Greene(USA)12.29mps/27.53mph.Reached during the 70m-85m stage of the Berlin Golden Leauge Meeting 2000.Maurice's 50m Splits were,5.67s/4.19s!!=9.86s,-0.2m/s(WL&MR).
Ato Boldon(TRI)12.10mps/27.10mph.Reached during his 9.92s time in his Atlanta OG Semi-Final during the 50m-64m stage.Ato's 50m splits were,5.60s/4.32s.
If you have any other queries or questions about my research or resources,give me a bell on this message board and I will be happy to provide my opinions or answers.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting follow-up, thanks. Still curious about what sort of resources provide you with 74m splits... Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am curious about the sources as well as wh y Montgomery didn't show up on the initial list since he and Greene dominate the follow up list .... The only source that I know of that can provide accurate in race times to 100ths are the actual photo times of the race ... And to my knowledge they give 10 meter splits ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: What is the fastest speed that a human has reached? Reply with quote

:supergrin:As to your 'suspicions' about my follow up reply to Top Speeds.The '74m','56m' and other splits,the thing about that is that the speed measurer measures the athlete's Top Speed,and then tells you at which point it is reached,for example,63m,52m,etc.Top Speed is as it states,your Top Speed,reached at whatever stage,whatever time.Still I respect your opinions and they all count.And as to Tim not featuring on the main list of Top Speeds, the reason why this error occured is because I did not search through my research and resources properly.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I also respect your answers, to this point you have yet to identify what the "speed measurer" is ... The spource of the measurment is very important indetermining the accuracy of the measurements themselves ... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is some device I'm not aware of, top speed measurements are arrived at by calculating the time it takes to cover a specific distance, usually 10m increments. I don't know of any instantaneous "point in time" reading devices... Radar guns certainly don't have that sort of accuracy, and requiring athletes to wear body armor for reflective purposes would tend to limit that all important top speed. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: What is the fastest speed that a human can reach? Reply with quote

What I mean by 'speed measurer' is 10m increments that measures your 10m splits and sometimes speed in Metres Per Second.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, it begs the question of how you got measurements at increments other than 10m...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have yet to identify the source of measurment ... Until then your data must be percieved as suspect ... Especially as it has appeared no where else ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: What is the fastest speed that a human can reach? Reply with quote

Although those speeds are from my sources,I didn't measure them myself.I got them from a website last year(2001).Since I recorded them for my own personal use.I am not able to access that website since,I think that either the server is broke,the website has too many people looking at it,or,the most likely answer,the website is talking crap about the metre measurments and has had to erase the website from public use.Sorry about the address of that certain website,it was in my favourites/bookmarks at one time,but after it went 'bust' I deleted it and am therefore not able to dig it up.I hope that this has not caused too muh of a sensation!??!
Respect!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Conway and I are getting at is that: a) you're quoting stats that have not previously been seen before by some very statistically minded sprint fans, b) showing apparently contradictory split information, c) some of the numbers look a bit questionable, and d) have a non-existant (or no longer existing) source to the information. That's not to say it isn't true, but it's pretty dang far from supportable... We have no way of knowing if the stats on the site you used were pulled out of the air or if they were somehow known to only one person... Not trying to disrespect you, just looking for a more convincing argument.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: What is the fastest speed reached by a human? Reply with quote

That's the problem,when the site went 'bust' I tried to e-mail Rene,who was the guy that set up the site,but he kept telling me some crap about those wasn't his Splits,and he told me to e-mail some other guy,can't remember the name though.But when I found out that the guy who was talking crap,was leading me on a wild goose chase,so that I kept busy and didn't e-mail him to ask him what was going on again,I just forgot about it and stopped looking for the other guy that he metioned,and left the whole thing along to let some other idiot sort it out.The fastest Speeds that I knew before that site appeared late last year(Late November,Early December 2001),were Carl Lewis(USA)28.00mph,Reached in the Los Angeles 1984 OG Final,Maurice Greene(USA)28.16mph,Reahed during the 4.19s last 50m of his 9.86s Berlin GP 2000,the Bob Hayes one in 1963, and Donovan Bailey(CAN) 27.10mph or 27.32mph,whatever,Reached during Atlanta OG 1996.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what we have is a situation with completely unsubstantiated and unsupportable statistics with no known origin... As such, I can't see them being used as anything more than recreational entertainment. Certainly no statistical validity from which to measure, compare, and rank athletes.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: What is the fastest speed reached by a human? Reply with quote

Laughing Yep,that's right.So anyway,since we are talking about the Fastest speeds,what is the fastest Speed reached by a Woman in the 4x100m Relay??24-25mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: