Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Creatine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2000 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Anybody tried Creatine? How does it work in terms of running? Please give some info. Is it dangerous?

Mel

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Melodi']

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2000 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melodi,

I've talked to people who have used it. All reported it increased their strength, endurance, speed etc.

On the other hand, there have, as yet, been no reports on the long-term impact this supplement may have. Iam skeptical of any product whose advocates rationalize its use by referring to it as a 'natural' substance. Heck, hemlock is a natural substance; so, for that matter, is botulism.

There have been negative reports about its misuse with subsequent dehydration.In all instances with which I have been familar, weight gain occurred.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Robert Bunch']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2000 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it. You will gain weight, and if used correctly, you will definitely gain strength. In my experience, the weight gain is insignificant compared to the strength gain.

I think the fears surrounding creatine are unwarranted. That's not the same as saying that there are no potential dangers, just that there is nothing resembling a solid basis for those fears. If people think creatine should not be used, then we should probably get rid of red meat, too.

Most people do not properly hydrate and are not intelligent enough to follow directions (gee, maybe doubling the does will double the benefit...). Combine that with increased muscle mass and workload, and that person's under-hydration will be magnified, possibly to the point of injury. Yet, someone looking for a creatine side effect will point to that as proof. Hardly.

Robert, are you sure about the increased endurance part? I've never seen that stated. Everything I've read and experienced has been to the contrary. Creatine supplementation will most likely be detrimental to events over 400-800m.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: