increasing by more than 10%?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, what were you chasing...or running from? Wink

I'm walking with no pain and taking calcium supplements and my plan is to start incorporating a little running into the walk the Saturday after Thanksgiving. That gives me a full 8 weeks of recovery time.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our interval training night last night, did 400x2 800x2 1000x1 800x2 400x2. With warmup, warmdown and rest intervals I totaled close to 6 1/2 miles. The workout lasted an hour and 20 minutes. We'll see how I feel the next couple of days.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, was that bruise from hitting the fence or the landing? Smile

Paul, you're becoming an animal! I just hope my calf problems have subsided by the time I have the energy to venture out for a run again...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must be the non-runningest bunch of runners around Exclamation Aside from Paul nobody's running. I went for two easy 4 milers over the weekend, they were the first runs I'd done in quite a while, I haven't run since. I've really had a hard time balancing my time spent working sleeping and to try to run in their some where has been difficult. I've been working full time graveyard shift since mid July (to help pay for my coaching addiction Wink ) and my body is just now getting used to sleeping in intervals as oppossed to all at once. And as I'm sure some of you can attest when you are having trouble getting enough sleep running is difficult at best.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your kind remarks, but let's not get carried away. The Tues workout is almost 40% of my weekly load! Surprised Rolling Eyes I'm good at bits and pieces. I think I'm about ready for an unload week before I overdo it.

DG, you're not teaching at UNK?? Coaching is only a part time job? I work graveyard, myself.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my body is just now getting used to sleeping in intervals

Well, you may not be running, but at least you're getting your intervals in. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running from one point to another while coaching an XC meet. I needed to go throug a field with a few fences. There was a rock in front of one of the fences and I used it to hurdle the fence (I have no hops) and I injured my foot on the landing.

I am going to the doctor on friday to finally check it out.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, it must really be hurting if it's making you go to the doctor.

Paul, unfortunatly I don't teach, even though I'm the head cross country coach I took the position as a graduate assistantship. But after taking a year off from school and having no real experience running a team (and let me tell you there is a lot more to coaching than coaching, especially at the college level) I was in over my head with graduate level classes and trying to learn the ropes as a coach as well. So I had to either withdraw from classes or not get the job done as a coach. So the classes had to go. A desision that I now really wish I hadn't made. They liked the job I was doing as a coach enough to make the position part time and let me keep it. So I basiclly took last year and devoted myself to learning how to run a college team. I've got it down well enough now that I can get the job done and work full time to pay the bills. Although all I really want to do is coach full time.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG- It hurts to run but not to walk. And yes it may snow because of my doctor visit. I went to the doctor today and the pain in my heal is caused by inflamation (clear fluid) in an area between two bones. I'm probably about 2 weeks away from being 100% so that means that I will start running monday using a heal pad an an arch support, and a steady diet of IBs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update to my original post...

I just finished week 4 of the schedule you offered D.G., thanks again BTW!

This was the light week but I shortened it a little more, ran 5 yesterday and should have done 3 today but didn't, because of a little twinge I noticed after doing the run Saturday. I also ran a new route the day before with some steep hills that may have contributed.

I have experienced tendonitis in my ankle and it took 3 weeks of no running before it got better. This pain is similar, but I'm not sure that it's the same thing, since a lot of you have been off with injuries I'll ask your opinion. Wink I've iced it some and have not ran since I've noticed it, I guess my question is... Do you think I should not run on it or should I do a few really short days like 2 to 3 miles (with no hills) and see how it feels.

The thing is, I want to do a 5K run on Dec 14th, otherwise I would just rest it until it was better. Of course the last thing I want to do is cause more injury that would keep me from running for weeks.

Thanks for any imput. Hope you guys are all back to running soon!

julie
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trial and error... Once you've had enough injuries Sad , you start to get a pretty good feel for what is trouble and what is just an annoying ache. I don't believe you mentioned where this new twinge is or what the nature of it is (constant, pulsating, only on landing, push-off, etc.), so I'm afraid I cannot offer any useful advice.

Dan
jme67

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! sorry Dan!

... I assumed that you could feel my pain and, of course, know all about it. Embarassed

The pain is at the top of the bony protrusion of my inner ankle on right foot. It isn't bad pain and it isn't visibly swollen. It doesn't really hurt to walk but I do feel pain when I flex my foot. It hasn't caused me to have to stop a run (as the tendonitis did), but I'm trying to not let it get to that point.

I am an over-pronator so I assume that is causing my ankle problems. I am running in motion-control shoes that correct it (mostly). I usually run on asphalt roads but sometimes on dirt/gravel roads {which is what I ran on Saturday.} I would think that the reverse would be more likely to affect me... going from dirt to asphalt. I am guessing the hill I did the previous day was more to blame.

Thanks!

julie
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that could easily just be an aggravation from too stiff (or high) of an upper on your shoes, especially if you are getting accustomed to higher mileage. I would ice it a few times a day, run a moderate amount, and just keep an eye on it.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: