What's my damn problem? Please help...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnb470 wrote:

Anaerobic alactic training and aerobic training do not complement each other, they compromise each other. It's something you will have to contend with from a psychological standpoint as you attempt to increase your 5K speed.

Paul

This general statement is true when analyzing each activity at it's respective extreme. However in my limited experience with this sustained cardio thing, I can say there are a few aspects complementing each other. Since I got serious about running, my lifting style has changed a whole lot. But I certainly haven't stopped lifting. (I've got to keep my shapely physique for the ladies!) I now lift high rep, perfect form, low rest interval. I have even noticed a slight increase in total strength in some muscle groups. Now lifting and running in the same workout, like an hour of lifting followed by a run, well that's good only for burning calories and that's about it, as the run is a debacle. Same goes for running then lifting. The lifting will pretty much be a waste of time. But with the workouts broken up I have seen some benefit. Who knows, maybe if I stopped lifting entirely I'd get faster sooner. (I'll never know, because I'll never stop lifting.) But I think there is middle ground where both types of activites can coexsist. If I was going to run a marathon or a half marathon I'd say to hell with lifting. But my only timed running event is a measly 3 miles.

In 6 months I envision myself at a super lean 185, still bench pressing my weight 20 times, doing 20 pullups, and running 3 miles in sub 20. And of course in Quantico, VA.

Call me crazy, but we'll see...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: