FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Oregon State X-C Meet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Oregon State X-C Meet Reply with quote

Dan or Paul. I was bumming around the net and saw that the Oregon state x-c meet had some great results in terms of times (at least two boys going sub 15 for 5k) did either of you get to watch it?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer, I missed it!! I didn't realize it was 2 weekends ago. Another one of my missed opportunities this year. This has been one of the best years in our state history. The guy who was 5th would have won 21 out of the last 24 years. Surprised The winner is being coached by Salazar.

Quote:
On a local note, Oregon HS XC was phenomenal this year. There is a chance we may qualify 4 people from this state in the Regionals to go on to the Foot Locker Nationals.

I had posted this a few days ago in the Food For Thought thread.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, not only did I not attend the meet, but I haven't even seen results from it and had no idea Oregon runners were so strong this year. Embarassed I can only think of a couple of standout returners from last year, so I'm curious who the 5+ people are...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the results from the meet, that 4A boys race must have been something to see.Oregon sure seems to have had a good year in terms of cross country. Or it seems that way to me since I'm used to the level in states with smaller populations and not nearly the distance running tradition they have up there.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Bummer, I missed it!! I didn't realize it was 2 weekends ago. Another one of my missed opportunities this year.

If it makes you feel any better I missed the Neb state meet this year, and we host it! I had to leave with the team at 4:00am that morning so we could make it to our Conference meet and still get a good night sleep.

That however didn't get me out of the grunt work of getting ready for the meet. Neutral
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lauren Jesperson is a stud. I believe he ran 1:51 for 800 as a sophomore and is getting stronger and stronger at XC. He won yesterday's Oregon-Washington Nike Borderclash meet. Last I heard (a year ago), he's headed to Stanford...

Other than Chapa, I don't recognize too many of the names in those results. A couple of "name dropping" stories: Wilsonville won the 3A meet. They were coached by Matt McGuirk (current Willamette men's coach) from the time the school opened in around '94 (?) up until he left for the Willamette job in the middle of the season 3 or 4 years ago. The season he left, the interim coach kept things on track well enough to win the XC title. The following year was a drop-off, but they hired to new coaches last year (both were former teammates of mine, one from high school and one from college) and they got the state title back, then repeated it this year. The second place team in the same race, Philomath, is coached by the guy who coached our XC team my first year at Oregon State.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: