Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Time to hit the recruiting trail.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Time to hit the recruiting trail. Reply with quote

Well with the cross country season over it's time for me to get serious with recruiting. I've made some pretty good contacts with several runners and seem to have the inside track on some quaility athletes. I have three goals for the coming years recruiting class.

Goal #1) Upgrade the talent level on the men's team. I've got a nice core of kids but anyone who saw our regional championships will tell you that as of right now we don't have the horses to run with the top 5,6,7 schools in the region.
Goal #2) Increase roster size on both squads, but particularly on the men's side. I currently have about 11 ladies and 9 men on my rosters. Of those I only have 3 women with the talent to be a contributing member on a team good enough to make nationals that I'm sure will be returning and another 2 I hope will return. On my men's side I have 3 maybe 4 with that talent level, one of whom has been extremely injury prone and irresponsible and another who has underacheived this year.
Goal #3) Fill the void left by the seniors on this years team. These athletes have been running in the top 5 since thier first race as freshmen, there is no way to replace their experience or the excellent relationship I have with each of them, but I will have to go out and bring in at least three girls and two guys with good work ethic, talent and durability just to replace them. I always figure on bringing in at least one more athlete than you have going out since some kids inevitably quit, get hurt or just bust every year.

Dan when you were coaching how much recruiting did you get to do? Any note worthy experiences?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on the recruiting trail. There's no such thing as down time for college coaches. I would imagine that as your program gets more notice, kids will be looking forward to you coming around to see them. Do you have recruiting responsibilities for other track and field events, also??
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Do you have recruiting responsibilities for other track and field events, also??

Not really, and this year it's even a little strange within the distance group. Last year I coached all events 800 and over. This year we have a new coach who works with all the middle distance runners. So I'm not real sure how recruiting is going to work. If there is a cross country runner who primarily runs the 800 in track do I recruit them or does the new coach? I don't even know if the new guy will do any recruiting. And I can say that I'm not real keen on the idea of recruiting athletes who I won't even get to work with during the track season. So right now I'm focusing on recruiting athletes that are either much better at X-C than track or who stick to the 1600 and 3200 in track preferably with the 3200 being their primary event.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a personal note thrown in here. DG, does it ever occur to you what kind of impact it has on a kid when they are contacted by a college coach? I know ever person is different and for some it may be no big deal. But I can still remember the excitement my daughter felt when she got her 1st recruiting call. She was walking on air for days. Very Happy When you get that reaction from a kid it has to excite you as a coach.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first recruiting call I ever got (interestingly enough it was actually from the institution where I am now coaching) I was so pumped I went out and flew through a 7 mile run, I don't think me feet hit the ground more than 4 times. Cool

The thing about recruiting from a coaches perspective is the athlete really determines how much I enjoy it. Athletes who are positive and curtious even if they aren't all that interested in your program are nice to deal with. These are usually the kids that you know really want to run and will get out there and bust tail for you if you can get them. On the other hand far to often you have athletes who aren't that good who have an attitude like, if you won't give me lots of money I won't talk too you. Which is sad since usually these are the kids that don't have a lot of colleges talking to them.

Fortunatly I have had a good response to most of my calls this year and I'm hopeful that I can put together a good enough recruiting class to really improve both my programs.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off the subject but how's your daughters running going? You had said that she stoped running with her college team. Is she still running a lot or is she taking some time away from running? What are the odds that she'll compete again at the college level, either transfer and run at another school or rejoin her schools team in the future?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, too. Is she interested in running track in the Spring??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Goal #2) Increase roster size on both squads, but particularly on the men's side. I currently have about 11 ladies and 9 men on my rosters.

I'd almost make that Goal #1 (although the two go hand in hand). 9 men is pretty thin, both for a talent base and for backup in case of injury or illness.

Quote:
Dan when you were coaching how much recruiting did you get to do?

Funny you should ask... One thing I was adamant about is that I have no interest in recruiting. Even with my business, I hate selling myself. My lasting impression of college is not an overly positive one, and I'm too brutually honest to tell a prospective student other than what I truly think, so I figure it's best that someone who enjoys recruiting and has a better disposition for it handle that sort of stuff. I would still meet with recruits when they came to a practice or meet, but nothing major.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The daughter is taking a low key approach to running right now. She is running with a running club on campus and is putting in a relaxed 15-20 miles a week. I think she is going to hit the road races this spring and summer instead of returning to the college team.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with doing a little road racing. Sometimes I think that there are situations with athletes -wheather because of injuries, burnout, disagreements with the coach, or scheduling of training- where the best thing for all involved is for the athlete to get away from the team enviornment, do some road racing and get back to enjoying running.

As for recruiting I have to stick with worrying about quaility first quantity second. The primary reason being this years freshman class needs to be talented because looking down the road next year I may not be able to do much in terms if scholarship offers since I have no Jr's on this years mens team. Also I have two kid for sure and possibly two more that can contribute to a top 4 team in our region. I need to bring in at least three really talented athletes to build around these guys in order to achieve our goal of making nationals when this years sophmores are seniors. I currently have interest from four kids with the talent level I need and I'm trying to contact two more. If I can get three of them and two more athletes who I can try to develope then I will regaurd my recruiting year as a success on the mens side.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does UNK have anything special to offer academically?? Portland State Univ used to have an incredible PE Dept, even offering a Ph.D in the field with an emphasis on Biomechanics or Physiology. Then they did away with the program in the 80's.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a good school all the way around, we have a good student to professor ratio (somewhere in the 13-1 area if memory servers). Our specialty is education we're about as good a teachers school as you're going to find. But it seems that there aren't to many area's of weakness eduacationally. The only thing I can think of is that I don't beleive you can earn a Ph.D here, the highest degree we offer is Masters.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, did PSU's dropping of that degree coincide with a plunge in their T&F program? It sure is the pits these days, going back as far as I can remember...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered doing any recruiting in California ..... There are lots of small schools here that have talent ... And this is a state with great distance runners and depth ... Perhaps I should start a fee based referral service of rthisx state ... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps I should start a fee based referral service of rthisx state ...

Not a bad idea. I'll help you set up a web site for it. Smile

There actually have been a few such sites that have come and gone (none regional that I know of), but they seem to have been pretty poorly implemented.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: