Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
The Field House
Old Time Long Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> The Field House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Old Time Long Jump Reply with quote

I found this article on how the ancient Greeks used aids in their version of the long jump.

Cool I though it was pretty neat.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was interesting. I wonder if they had designer halteres endorsed by the top Greek athletes?? Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing about that a few years back. There's also the not-quite-so-ancient (1960's or 70's) long jump with a flip technique that draws interest from time to time on the t-and-f list.

Quote:
But unlike performance-enhancing drugs, halteres were legal.

Well, performance enhancing drugs weren't always illegal...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of this method of jumping before ... And have actually seen the flip long jump live ... I don't think the flip aided any to the jump ... Just gave it more flair Rolling Eyes
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people on the list say it adds as much as 2 feet for some jumpers, although the examples seem to be mostly decathletes who probably have imperfect form to begin with.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a big long jump guy I'm curious. Did they actually flip over as in feet over you head summer-salt (sp?) or was it a kind of roll on to the side like Powell does?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actaually a head over heals summersault !!! Had a guy in my confernce in high school ... And then a couple of guys I saw do it in college .. I think if it would add two feet that Tellez would have taught it to Carl !!!!! I never saw anyone do farther than the hgigh 24 foot range personally ... I heard of someone doing 26 feet .. But that is not extraordinary ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 feet aint bad, but the questions are did they stick the landing and what score did the Bulgairian judge give them for degree of difficulty Wink
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Wash State Univ jumper who used it quite effectively in the late 70's. The problem is that one tended to put too much attention on the elements of landing instead of run up and take off. But you could get your feet well out in front of you which made a big difference in the landing if you didn't fall back on your butt.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you could get your feet well out in front of you which made a big difference in the landing if you didn't fall back on your butt.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It also provides a lot of forward rotational momentum to keep you from falling backward. The trick woudl be a regular run-up followed by the airborne gyrations for maximal performance.

One drawback I can see is that the flip would probably be deadly on a bad day and limiting on a great day, as your point in the rotation would be difficult to vary properly depending on how far you are jumping that day...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest fault that I can remember was in the run up ... You just can't generate the kind of speed knowing you are getting ready to attempt a flip as you can in the conventional style ... Which is wy I think you never got the "big" jumps ... The forward rotation would help, but I don't see it overcoming the difference in terms of lost speed ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You just can't generate the kind of speed knowing you are getting ready to attempt a flip

I would consider that a mental block, not a fault of the method per se. That isn't to say anyone is capable of both a top speed run up and a flip, just that if the two could be combined by the proper athlete, it could result in something huge.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... Ever long jump ??? Just trying to use your speed, drop on the penultimate jump step, and hit the board properly are enough to drive one insane !!! sumersaults are best left to gymnastics ... Which is why I think the method was so short lived ... Wink ... Of course if the perfect athlete did come along and was able to put it all together I would imagine 32 feet would be in order ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That of coarse could probably be said of traditional technique as well.

I'm no physicist (duh) but I'm pretty sure that objects that spin tend to go slower through the air than objects that don't which if applied to long jump would mean that once air born one would want to move as little as possible until at the last moment reaching for the landing. Of coarse this might be a flawed theory since most of the best jumpers now I think use that Carl Lewis running in the air style (if you want to get technical).

I will now retire from my track applied physics carees and resume my life as a distance coach. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ever long jump ???

Yeah, it was ugly. Smile

From what I've read, the flip method was quickly banned for fear of being dangerous, although no reported injuries ever occurred. I doubt all that many people had tried it, so it's difficult to measure its effectiveness.

DG, I would think the air effect would be minimal. Now, if someone could figure out a way to launch themselves horizontally and still land (on either hands or feet, depending on pronated position) in one piece, that would be some serious aerodynamics!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> The Field House All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: