FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
How's this team sit with you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: How's this team sit with you? Reply with quote

On another message board there is talk about both Boaz Cheboiywo (defending NCAA Cross Country champ, currently a sophmore at Eastern Michigan from Kenya) and David Kimani (multiple time NCAA champ, currently a junior at Alabama also from Kenya) both wanting to become US citizens. Appearently both have said in interviews that they'd like to get their citizenship. If that were to happen we would have the possibility of Khalid K in the marathon, Mebrahtom Keflezighi and possibly Boaz in the 10k or 5k , Abdi Abdirahman (who coachd has said I actually beat when I was a sophmore) in either the 10k or 5k and Kamani in either the 5k or 1500.

Not to many Bob Kennedy's or Alan Webb's in that bunch is there? I have no doubt that the thought of possibly having three runners that weren't born in this country representing the US in the 5000 bothers all of us. I'm just wondering how much.

Personally I'd hate to see an event run with no US born athletes representing our country, but on the other hand to see the stars and stripes raised after a distance event would really be something. Also I have mixed feelings about each of these individuals. KK came to the US and was a dish washer in New York while he was trying to get his running career going. Then went through a malestrom of red tape and INS screw ups before he finally was granted citizenship. I can't help but feel that he kind of earned the right to call himself an American. Meb and Abdi both went to high school in the US which I guess gives them at least a little credibility, but I can't help but feel a little uneasy about Boaz and Kimani who came from over seas on full rides to US state funded colleges and liked it so much the decided to stay. Not that I blame them, because there are way more perks to being a US citizen than a Kenyan one and that's not counting making Olympic teams.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't bother me, but it doesn't really excite me either. Yawn... Like I've said, the 800m WR holder isn't from Denmark, he's from Kenya. Plain and simple, no if's, and's, or but's.

Besides, I'm not yet convinced any of those guys will be more than B-teamers on the world scene. Other than Lagat, there haven't been many examples since Rono of Kenyans who dominated in NCAAs who proved to be amongst the best of their countrymen.

I've read an interview or two with Kimani and he's about as American sounding as anyone you'll meet, for what that's worth.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings here too. It would be nice to see a native born American such as K'nacher or Webb or Jacobs or Hamilton bring home the medals but I still like seeing someone like Kannouchi winning as an American. And even though she doesn't get much attention, South Africa born Coleen Dereuck has done very well on the international stage since getting US citizenship.

We talked about this on another thread and there were a lot of differing opinions. For someone like KK and the others mentioned to make a decision to become an American citizen and compete for the US is admirable. I wish them all good luck.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Smile This is the land of opportunity after all, so we can't hold it against someone for wanting to be part of the country and compete as an American. It's just that it begs too many questions to leave it at that and not address what international athletics competition is all about...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with someone who wants to acquire US citizenship because they truly want to be a part of this country. What I would have a problem with is any country offering citizenship to "hired guns" just to win medals.

Of course, I don't think there is any danger of USATF doing that! Surprised
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hired gun part I would think could only really apply to Boaz and Kamani. (Assuming by hired gun you mean someone that can't make their home nations Olympic team but are still above and beyond almost anything the US has) Since KK is the best marathoner in the world US citizenship has no bearing on if he gets to run in the Olympics or not. And Meb is from Eritria and Abdi is from Somolia, which means they could probably make their native countires teams as easily as they could make ours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: