Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Cortizone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
will
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Cortizone Reply with quote

Hi folks, I'm coaching a high school senior who has recently (this afternoon) gotten a cortizone shot. I've never had an injury that warranted the use of cortizone, but, the fellow who administered it is the head of LSU's PT trainers. I didn't speak with him directly, and, am wondering what the time frame for recovery is and how I should approach his readjustment to training. Ever since we identified the injury (achillies tendonitis with a hint of plantar fasciaitis) I've had my guy in the pool performing the same workouts I would have him do on land. So, aerobically, he's fine. The question is, when he starts running on it again, I want to know what to tell him. Any stories, experiences? Advice?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the recovery repercussions of cortizone shots are. One thing that concerns me is that it doesn't quite seem to fit the injury and it was administered by a college trainer, many of whom treat injuries as if it were a football injury where they just need to dull the pain or mobilize the joint enough to get back out on the field... I would consult someone else and try to get a good indication of the injury status and how long it will take to heal.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
will
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I realized after posting it was unclear. The guy is a sports medicine doctor. He heads up the team of trainers that takes care of LSU. I was just saying that to suggest that he knows what he is doing and he wasn't just some doctor saying, "Oh, you've got an injury, let's deaden it with some cortizone." (Of course, he might be of that mentality.) Either way, I'm just trying to help my guy get back into the swing of things. He's shooting for the Foot Locker South Regionals in four weeks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't give you much time to decide on a rehab plan, let alone implement it... I think you'll just have to play it by ear and pull back on the reigns if he's still feeling sore or tight.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my athletes it's usually 48 hrs of nothing to let the cortizone sit in and do it's thing. Then they usually have about two or three days where we hold them back a little gradually increasing work back to normal levels within about a week. The thing you have to watch out for is sometimes the shot is misplaced. Last year we had a girl who had IT band problems, they gave her the shot which should have cleared it up, and nothing happened, no improvement. They just missed where the medicine was supposed to go. It took another 3 weeks of rehab (with no shots) before she was back ready to run full speed. On the other hand I have had athletes that the shot worked well enough to help them finish the season with no pain or further injury. Bottom line, deal with the rehab as the injury and discomfort dictate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: